13 October 2009

Kylie in NYC


Since one of the top 3 things I love about the UK is the music (the other two are Starbucks skinny muffins and the accents), of course I was so psyched this summer when I learned that Kylie Minogue would be embarking on her FIRST EVER North American tour (now, if we can just get Robbie Williams over here). I snapped up tickets for her show ASAP, and then decided I might as well go again when a second night was announced.

Both nights were amazing. Kylie puts on a proper pop show and gives you your money's worth. The sets (giant skulls!), the lights, the videos, the dancers, the costumes, and, of course, THE SHOES (thigh high cut-out Louboutins!) are all fabulous. To top it all off, Kylie actually sings her songs, rather than "miming" them, as the Brits would say.

I really didn't know many Kylie songs from before the "Fever" era, but that was okay, because her songs are pretty much pure dance-able fun across the board. And it never hurts to hear some new songs anyway - I now have several songs to add to my list of Kylie faves, right after "Wow," which is at the top. She even did a new song that will be on her forthcoming album, and it was really good too.

I am glad I went to two nights and had different seats each night. On the first night, I was in the Second Mezz, a view which enabled me to take in the production and choreography to the fullest extent. Its hard to miss things when you have a full overview of the stage. On the second night, I had a floor ticket, and I was able to get quite close to the stage, which allowed me to see more details in the costumes as well as the faces of Kylie and her dancers (whose antics make Jake Shears and the Scissor Sisters seem chaste in comparison).

One more bonus of the second night was that I found myself standing next to a friendly Welshman who has seen Kylie numerous times and had come to NY just for her show (luv my fellow jet-setters!). His enthusiasm for and familiarity with Kylie's oeuvre made the show all that much more enjoyable, despite the rude people constantly pushing past us and stepping on our feet.

While I hope this isn't the last that North America will see of Miss Kylie, I will remember these two shows for a long time; they definitely felt like something very special. Wow wow wow.