24 May 2010
LCD Soundsystem at Terminal 5
I went to the first two shows (Thursday and Friday) of the band's four show run at Terminal 5 this past weekend. After the first show on Thursday, I would have loved to go to all four (despite an unchanging set list), but unfortunately I have a life outside of music and had to attend to vintage cocktails and laundry, among other things, on those following evenings. However, I did meet some folks that had come in from Cali and FLA just for these LCD shows. I admire their dedication, and I am glad I am not the only person who thinks nothing of flying across the country for random entertainment events. Stay strong fellow entertainment addicts!
The band was as tight as I have heard them this year, despite some equipment malfunctions on Thursday night. James seemed fairly sober, though he was still prone to his usual adorable ramblings, often cut off by Pat on drums in their own version of the Academy Awards orchestra.
"All My Friends" on the second night was a seminal moment (right up there with hearing Phoenix perform "Too Young" at T5 last year). The music caught me up in it's rhythmic swell as I was being crushed by a crowd of obnoxious kids. I just closed my eyes to soak in the sounds and marvel at the pretty great place I'm at in my life right now. I wanted to have my eyes opened and closed all at once because I wanted to adsorb as much of the total experience as possible, but I also wanted to just hear the song course through my body.
What brought it all home and made it amazing on both nights was the finale of "New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down" segued into a short cover of "Empire State of Mind" (hey, that song isn't completely intolerable after all!) accompanied by hundreds of white balloons cascading down from the ceiling. I could not stop grinning after that on both nights. Truly magical.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment