13 September 2011

Rope Jewelry: Session 1 - Bracelets

My Brooklyn Brainery experiences are no longer limited to philosophy. Since I am all about bracelets lately and all about nautical accessories (nothing says boating like polypropylene cord!), I thought a Rope Jewelry class sounded like just the thing to feed these small obsessions. This is a two session class, with the first focusing on bracelets and the second on making a necklace.


Materials used in this class include the afore mentioned polypropylene rope, rayon twisted rope (that stuff from which drapery tie-back tassels are often fashioned), twine, nylon parachute cord, and climbing rope. During our two hour class, I made three bracelets -- and came up with some good ideas for making bracelets on my own if I am ever so inclined. However, I have to say that no rope bracelet I could make could ever match the beautiful simplicity of any Miansai offering.

Of the three bracelets I made, the yellow and red one is my favorite because it is the most nautical looking and also slightly obnoxious (perfect for Edgartown!). It even looks rather buoyant, like one of those foam keychains made for boat keys.

No comments: