"Never Take It Away," The Aston Shuffle feat. Mayer Hawthorne: I'm not familiar with any other Aston Shuffle tracks, but of course had to download this one due to the presence of Mayer Hawthorne's sweet croon. I love the way this song makes the most of Mayer's voice while casting it against a laid-back dance beat and instrumentation that differs from Mayer's own style. It's nice to have some new Mayer Hawthorne material to mix things up on my playlists no matter what guise that material takes.
RAF Scarf, J. Peterman: This scarf has been my go-to this month; not only does it look sophisticated and bring a dash of menswear flair to my feminine wardrobe, but it is also lighter and less bulky than some of my other scarves. However, it is still warm enough for all the brutal weather we've been having. I also like that looks like a giant necktie, due to its silk and wool composition. Here is a snippet of the colorful description from the the always delightful J. Peterman catalog:
Today what we can’t seem to do is soar. The way flying used to be, then, at the beginning—that, now, is a dream. ... Supplemental gear favored by legendary air ace Douglas Bader and other pilots in “the thin blue line” during the 1940 Battle of Britain. R.A.F. Scarf (No. 1139). Two-ply cut of smooth silk with a small bit of wool (no shine). A fine thing to see, touch, think about.GIRL, Pharrell Williams: If "Calling All Hearts" was the Spring Break psych up, then this is the sustaining fuel. The lead single, "Happy," definitely sets the tone for the album, which is full of fantastic beats both slinky and bouncy. Pharrell's duet with Justin Timberlake ("Brand New") is better than anything on either volume of The 20/20 Experience, and even the guest spot from Alicia Keys is pleasing. "Hunter," "Gush," "Gust of Wind" (a collaboration with Daft Punk reminiscent of funked-up Confessions era Usher), and "It Girl" are favorite tracks, but there isn't a single a song in this set that I want to skip when playing it through, often on repeat. I've found that this album suits many a mood and can be both relaxing and energizing depending on my needstate. I am sure this album will continue to have legs well through the summer; I can't wait to listen to it while catching some rays in the park whenever winter decides to be over.
Birthday Dinner, Joël Robuchon: After having such an amazing meal at Joël last year for my parents' anniversary, there was no question about where I would be celebrating my 30th birthday, which was conveniently on a Saturday night. Due to the boxing match going on at the MGM Grand, we were not able to have the gold limo pick us up, but the meal was still absolutely spectacular. As before, the bread trolley was full of delights (the bacon bread is my favorite), the butter was to-die-for, and the service was impeccable. I don't know our waiter's name, but his voice is the kind that could persuade you to jump off a bridge, and he's easy on the eyes as well. But back to the food - here's what I had for dinner:
La Betterave: spiced beet gazpacho with buratta, extra virgin oil, and coriander blossoms
L'Artichaut Violet: violet artichoke and foie gras salad with parmesan shavings
L'Œuf de Poule: crispy soft boiled egg in light Comte cheese sauce with Iberico de Bellota ham
Le Bar: grilled sea bass with spinach leaves, crustacean and black Malabar pepper sauce (not pictured)
La Sphère: sugar sphere filled with mandarin sorbet and panna cotta foam, lemon confit and orange segments
Mignardises: including tiny cupcakes, macarons, bitty lemon meringue pies, nougat, fruit gelées, baby fruit tarts, Canelés, and assorted chocolates.
Avalanche, Quadron: This talented singer/group (it's not really clear what exactly the situation is) opened up for Mayer Hawthorne last month and made enough of an impression that I decided to order their new album. Avalanche is a solid selection of tracks that seamlessly blends 60s soul and slinky electronica. Vocalist Coco O sounds like a cross between Jessie Ware and Duffy, but comes out stronger than either of these more well known voices. Standout tracks include the openers "LFT" and "Favorite Star," as well as "It's Gonna Get You." Coco O's powerful pipes deserve to be heard in person, but if Quadron isn't playing near you any time soon, Avalanche is a satisfying replacement.
Appropriate, Signature Theatre: Appropriate is what I had hoped August: Osage County (film version; I've never seen the stage version) would be: a southern family drama full of venom that is also humorous and entertaining. Appropriate contains a nice mix of family drama and dark humor, and feels both true to the south and to how family relations actually go down. The acting was excellent all around, as was the set design. I also enjoyed that the play and its characters had no interest in being politically correct. This added to the trueness I mentioned and prevented the play from ever getting preachy. This play is faithful to its setting and portrays characters that could easily be real, rather than depicting manufactured ideals.
The Grand Budapest Hotel: This is the Wes Anderson I love - dry, quippy, absurdist, and underscored by a quiet rage. The last Anderson movie I really loved before this one was Royal Tenenbaums (Fantastic Mr. Fox was also good, but I tend to not consider it as in line with all the other Anderson films), and Grand Budapest Hotel provided a refresher of what I found so appealing about Wes's first three films. Ralph Fiennes gives a performance that is just fabulous, darling. His performance in particular made me laugh out loud several times, and there were humorous and entertaining moments to be found in many of the other performances as well. The multi-layered narration adds to the Anderson charm, and of course the sets are absolutely fantastic. That Anderson manages such an elaborate, at times verging on convoluted, story without its ever becoming precious or twee is what makes him such a compelling filmmaker. If there weren't so many other films on my list right now, Grand Budapest Hotel would earn a second cinema viewing for sure.
"Summer," Calvin Harris: This is a bit of a return to form for Calvin - a quirky beat that perfectly supports his own vocals and then segues into a hands-in-the-air drop and clubby tune that conjures up images of dancing the night away under the stars and palm trees waving in a warm breeze. It's a nugget of instant happiness, just like the best tracks from his first two albums, but with a touch of evolution, as is to be expected from a artist asserting his place in the global music scene.
Le Week-end: I knew this movie would be a favorite as soon as Jeff Goldblum's first scene was over. It is an utterly brilliant piece of acting, as is his whole performance in Le Week-end. Goldblum is on fire from his very first scene and gives such a mesmerizing command performance, making his supporting role the centerpiece of the film. His full embodiment of the character makes him absolutely captivating. While the bulk of the movie seemed uneven and I didn't really get the dynamic between Jim Broadbent and Linsey Duncan, Goldblum's scenes, along with gorgeous shots of Paris and a great soundtrack, made me so glad I made the effort to see this film.
"Jealous (I Ain't With It)," Chromeo: So 80s and so good! As with "Sexy Socialite," it was love at first listen with "Jealous (I Ain't With It)." The opening bars seem to be taken directly from some obscure 80s classic, and then the track segues into a beat that is just as infectious as the marvelous chorus. Definitely a track that requires chair-dancing, no matter the surroundings. It would be remiss of me to not take this opportunity to mention "Come Alive," which is also delightfully boppy. While I am all for the Manequin-esque throw-back video, I wish the track itself sounded less like a mashup of various tracks from Goldfrapp's Head First. Not that such a thing would ever stop me from listening to the track on a borderline obsessive level. In other words, I can't wait for the full Chromeo album, and I've even bought a ticket to see them at the loathed Terminal 5. Yeah, I like this new material *that* much.

No comments:
Post a Comment