30 November 2014

November Favorites


Modern Vintage, Sixx:A.M.: Sixx:A.M. continues to create rock music that doesn't quite sound like anything else out there. As soon as I put this album on, I knew it was a keeper. The opening track "Stars" is sweepingly epic and terribly romantic. There is not one song on Modern Vintage that I dislike. It's an incredibly strong, solid album that has been crafted with great care, which is no surprise considering the players involved -- three industry vets who are doing this because they love it and are passionate about it, not because they "need" to. While I do love the whole album, "Stars" and "Drive" are the standout tracks for me. "Drive" is of course a cover of The Cars' classic track, but Sixx:A.M. manages to make it their own while at the same time respecting the original material.  Even though the gaps between Sixx:A.M. albums is on the long side, the quality of the final product is always worth the wait. I am very much looking forward to seeing these guys live (their first headlining tour!) next spring.

Laggies: I was on the fence about seeing this movie, but decided to go for it because Sam Rockwell is always delightful, no matter what material he has to work with.  It turns out that not only is Mr. Rockwell thoroughly enjoyable, but also the material he has to work with here is quite good. He and Keira Knightley have sizzling chemistry, and I wished they had even more screen time together than they do. Even though Laggies starts out a bit slowly, the whole awkward twisted family dynamic that develops is inherently watchable, and although Knightley's character is rather messed up, I was rooting for her to succeed at making even a small step in figuring out just one part of her life. The ending is formulaic, but also highly satisfying. This is a cozy little film that I can't wait to revisit some evening when I'm curled up on my sofa.

Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand: I wanted to read this book even before it was set to become a movie. It is an amazing WW II story, an astounding story of the South Pacific, and an astonishing survival story. I am in awe of, and have so much respect for, all the men who were able to survive the Japanese POW camps. The triumph of the human spirit never fails to awe to me. On the other hand, the capacity for one group of humans to be awful and cruel to other humans is a truth that is hard to process. It's fantastic that Laura Hillenbrand (and Angelina Jolie) have recognized how powerful Louie Zamperini's story is and have been able to bring it to such a wide audience. I am definitely looking forward to seeing Jack O'Connell bring Louie's story to life on the big screen.

"Leave the Night On," Sam Hunt: Apparently country singer-songwriters (among other things, Sam wrote Billy Currington's hit "We Are Tonight") who were college football stars  (quarterback at Middle Tennessee State and UAB) are sort of my new thing (see also: Chase Rice). Sam Hunt's album Montevallo is quite good, and collectively his songs - and his voice - remind me of Andy Grammer more than anyone else. However, it is "Leave the Night On" that I just can't get out of my head. I can't help singing along with the chorus, even if I'm out in public. Plus, the line "The sky is dropping Jupiter around us like some old Train" is just pure genius.

Beyond the Serenade, Alex Cornish: I found out about Alex Cornish from There Goes The Fear back in 2009. If I remember correctly, this was a case of listening to an artist because I liked the picture that went along with the blog post (I'm a sucker for a good phone box!), which has been a surprisingly effective way to discover music I end up loving. Ever since then, I've eagerly anticipated Alex's new releases, and even got to see him live in London a few years back on one of my Thanksgiving trips. Beyond the Serenade has all the things that make Alex Cornish's music so wonderful: lush orchestrations, suburb vocals, and well-crafted songs that make you really want to listen to the lyrics. Also, Alex's albums hold together as albums extremely well -- the tracks are all perfectly sequenced. I seldom listen to any of the songs on their own, preferring instead to experience the rich moods and atmosphere created by the album as a whole, and Beyond the Serenade is no exception.

Super Critical, The Ting Tings: As I noted in September, the songs "Do It Again" and "Wrong Club" are excellent and strut-inducing. They fit in well on The Ting Tings' new album, Super Critical. Like Songs from Nowheresville, Super Critical is a buoyant collection of songs that makes the most of The Ting Tings' playful, yet artistically minded, approach to music. I didn't quite realize how much I missed this band until I discovered they had a new album coming out, and I am so glad to incorporate them back into heavy rotation.

"Uptown Funk," Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars: Another micro-trend blowing up my music collection is Jewish boys bringing the funk, and bringing it hard. Chromeo have been consummate Funk Lords this year, but Mark Ronson has re-emerged from a far-too-long hiatus to drop this amazingly killer track on which I can't stop hitting repeat. Not only are the lyrics incredibly fun, but that bass vocal that kicks off the track is addictive, and the horns are nothing short of joyous. The whole thing is incredibly retro, while at the same time being a breath of fresh air. I can't wait until Mark Ronson's new album drops in January, but in the meantime, I'm having fun revisiting his previous albums, which I haven't listened to in quite a while.

Beyond the Lights: Gugu Mbatha-Raw turns in another masterful performance, and continues to show her range as an actress. Beyond the Lights is a perfect counterpoint to all the 'serious' movies out this season. It's well-acted, sexy, and just a bit pulpy. The story is a little Notting Hill-esque, with a regular guy meeting a famous girl, but the formula is a fun one. The result is one of those movies that I could just sit back and lose myself in and not have to think about too much. It doesn't hurt that Nate Parker is easy on the eyes and has fabulous chemistry with Mbatha-Raw. Beyond the Lights also has some interesting things to say about parents living through their children, and does a good job reflecting the current celeb-worship culture -- but it does so without being preachy about it, thus keeping things light, without ever being fluffy.

Avonmore, Bryan Ferry: I knew this album was going to be a winner based on the songs Bryan performed from it as his show in October. Avonmore reminds me a lot of Mamouna, which is fine by me since Mamouna is one of my favorite albums. As one has come to expect from Bryan Ferry, Avonmore is beautifully lush and slightly dark. It's perfect music to sink into at the end of a long day. I especially enjoy Ferry's take on Robert Palmer's "Johnny and Mary," which closes out the album. One thing that's great about Bryan Ferry albums is that they work so well as a cohesive whole, and while Ferry can make any song his own, it's rather fitting that his take on Palmer's tune is allowed to have more of its own personality because of its position as the final track.

The Imitation Game: This is one of those films that pleasantly surprises by not only living up to the hype, but also by surpassing my expectations. Some of my favorite Brits (Benedict Cumberbatch, Matthew Goode, Allen Leech) turn in great performances, and the script incorporates a lot of humor. This is a genuinely funny movie (in part because of pitch-perfect line readings -- even Keira Knightley was good!), and that was something I wasn't expecting at all. The non-linear structure makes sense given the material at hand, but it is truly the script and the wonderful cast who bring it to life that make The Imitation Game a must-see this season.

No comments: