"This Summer's Gonna Hurt Like a Motherfucker", Maroon 5: I have no idea what the title/chorus of this song means, but it's catchy as hell and the video is hot. Sometimes in the summer, that's all you need.
About to Get Real, Easton Corbin: I'm really loving this album. It's become my go-to CD for when I am not quite sure what I want to listen to because every time I put it on, a new song jumps out at me to fit my mood. "Guys and Girls," "About to Get Real," and "Just Add Water" are all catchy Country pop songs that are easy to sing along with after a few listens. "Wild Women and Whiskey" sounds like it was stolen from Dwight Yokam, in the best way possible. "Damn Girl" is reminiscent of George Strait's "How 'Bout Them Cowgirls," and "Like a Song" is a smooth slow burner. This is Corbin's third album, and -- with his two previous efforts being just as solid as this one -- I'm surprised he is still in the up-and-coming category; he should have found mainstream success long before now, but maybe About to Get Real will allow him to reach the wider audience he deserves.
"Aquaman," Walk the Moon: I want to live inside this song. From the gorgeously layered, lush opening that brings to mind Toto's "Africa" to the beautiful, evocative lyrics, there is nothing to dislike about this song. It has an oddly soothing quality that relaxes me and puts a smile on my face whenever it comes on my shuffle, no matter what is going on around me. And it is a wonderful cooling balm at the end of a long, hot day.
Walk the Moon at Flatbread Co. Martha's Vineyard: The crowd at this show was one of the worst I have encountered in recent memory (side-eye to all the drunk summer kids), so it was hard to truly enjoy the show as it was happening. This may have been exacerbated by the fact that I was (surprise, surprise) standing right up against the stage, as was my saint of a mother who kindly came along to the show with me (as seen in this photo from the Vineyard Gazette -- as usual, I look skeptical/intense, though I swear I was enjoying the music!). However, after the fact, when in my mind's eye I was able to filter out all the riffraff, it was a show that I couldn't stop thinking about for at least two weeks, which helped keep me going through some stressful times during those weeks. As Walk the Moon becomes more popular and plays bigger and bigger venues, it is even more awesome to know I got to see them up close in a intimate venue, and in my favorite place on earth. On top of everything else, at the end of the show, I was able to snag a set list, which was written on a takeout container. Another Vineyard memory for the ages.
Traveller, Chris Stapleton: I am kicking myself for missing this guy at Farmborough Fest last month. He was playing the Next From Nashville stage right after Tucker Beathard (who was great) and Cadillac Three, but for some reason it didn't click that I had torn an item on him out of Rolling Stone (don't worry, I get the magazine for free) just a few weeks before. So instead of listening to fabulous roosty Country rock, I was listening to Maddie & Tae butcher "9 to 5." As soon as I realized my error, I listened to a few of Stapleton's songs and promptly ordered his album. Traveller is a thing of beauty through and through. Both Stapleton's singing and guitar playing are things at which to marvel. He has clearly been influenced by classic (i.e. late 70s) rock-tinged County (with a healthy dose of Stevie Ray Vaughn), yet his sound manages to be fresh and his voice, original. The more I listen to the album, the harder I kick myself for missing the chance to hear his powerful voice in person.
Tom Cruise v. Jimmy Fallon Lip Sync Battle: My new dream in life is to be fake-serenaded by Tom Cruise. However, I will also accept actual singing by Tom Cruise. Pink Watch Girl, you are beyond lucky. Excuse me while I watch this video on repeat and then retire to my fainting couch.
Related: "Can't Feel My Face" is where I want to live when I'm not living in "Aquaman" (see above). Somehow i hadn't heard this song until Tom brought it into my life, and I am very grateful that he has done so.
Related: "Can't Feel My Face" is where I want to live when I'm not living in "Aquaman" (see above). Somehow i hadn't heard this song until Tom brought it into my life, and I am very grateful that he has done so.
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation: While I didn't find this entry in the franchise quite as exhilarating as Ghost Protocol, it is certainly a close second (followed by M:I-2, Mission: Impossible, and Mission: Impossible III). In fact it has so many bad-ass action sequences and killer set pieces that it was hard to recall all the amazing moments once the movie was over. The whole thing is one big amazing moment. Tom Cruise, of course, continues to kill it. He can steal a scene by raising an eyebrow or giving a "you're kidding me" look. I'm not even joking. Highlights include:
- Tom Cruise hanging off the side of a plane
- A fight scene climax while "Nessun Dorma" (one of my most favorite pieces of music) is being sung (now that I've seen this, my life is complete -- and I didn't even realize that was what was missing)
- A tense underwater sequence
- A crazy high-speed car chase
- A crazy high-speed motorcycle chase, during which Tom Cruise wears no protective gear
- Classic Mission: Impossible mask usage
- Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner totally (and delightfully) holding their own
So basically this is a non-stop thrill ride starring the most gorgeous movie star out there with one of his best haircuts ever. But the thing that made this movie really enjoyable was the compelling and clever story that holds it all together. This was not just a bunch of action sequences strung together for the hell of it. Every sequence genuinely moved the story along or provided a worthy thrill or delight. I've only seen this once in IMAX so far, and I never feel like I can really absorb a movie like this when I see it in IMAX, so I am very much looking forward to seeing it again on a normal screen and being able to catch all the little details that I'm sure I missed this time around. Or, you know, just staring at Tom's perfect hair.
No comments:
Post a Comment