12 December 2015

Best of 2015: Albums

1. Illinois, Brett Eldrege
Out of twelve tracks on this album, there is only one that doesn't really do it for me, and that's not too shabby. There's sexy edge and a feel-good vibe that brings a smile to my face no matter what song on the album I'm listening to. The songs which I am particularly passionate about are "Time Well Spent" (a killer chorus and a celebratory theme, a island groove that I can't help but sway my hips to), "Fire" (sexy, with a driving beat), "You Can't Stop Me" (a party song that could just as easily be by a young Robin Thicke), "Drunk On Your Love" (solid, sexy grooves), and "Illinois" (sincere without being earnest). Oh, and it doesn't hurt that Eldredge is 6'5" and has gorgeous blue eyes.

2. Traveller, Chris Stapleton
I am kicking myself for missing this guy at Farmborough Fest this summer. Traveller is a thing of beauty through and through. Both Stapleton's singing and guitar playing are things at which to marvel. He has clearly been influenced by classic (i.e. late 70s) rock-tinged County (with a healthy dose of Stevie Ray Vaughn), yet his sound manages to be fresh and his voice, original. The more I listen to the album, the harder I kick myself for missing the chance to hear his powerful voice in person.

3. The Pirate Sessions, Jesse Rice
I am cheating a little bit here because this album came out in 2012 and I didn't know about it or have it in my life until this April -- and then it instatly became a favorite. Being the long-time Jimmy Buffett fan that I am, I always appreciate a good Caribbean-Country or Country-Caribbean album. More importantly, I have been longing for an album that could serve as a sequel of sorts to Kenny Chesney's Be As You Are (Songs from an Old Blue Chair). If you name-drop the BVIs on your album, I will love you forever. Simple as that. I wish I could link to my favorite songs, but all 16 tracks on the album are my favorite songs, so that would be absurd. All I can say is that even if I'm three years late to this album, I'm glad that it did find its way into my life eventually.

4. Can You Feel It, Rick Braun
This album reminds me of old Chris Botti (e.g. Night Sessions, and earlier), and that is a very good thing. Braun's lush and warm trumpet is backed up by solid, often celebratory, grooves that are perfect for chilling on a summer night, or just making any night feel like summer. Can You Feel It finds a happy balance between exuberance and laid-back chill, which based on seeing him live, is an accurate reflection of Braun himself.

5. The Age of Adeline soundtrack
Like the movie it accompanies, this soundtrack covers many eras, though it is heavy on mellow, jazzy tunes (Dexter Gordon's "The Rainbow People" is a standout, and happens to go with one of my favorite scenes in the film) and some pretty gorgeous piano pieces. It pairs nicely with the soundtrack for The Bridges of Madison County, which I also discovered this year. Both films have a dreamy, removed-from-time quality that is reflected perfectly in the music chosen to support them.

6. Emotion, Carly Rae Jepsen
A solid collection of pop perfection that draws heavily on late-80s and early-90s influences, this album holds together extremely well as a whole. However, standout tracks include "Let's Get Lost" (which combines late-80s synths and horns with early-90s beats to glorious effect), "When I Needed You", "Boy Problems", and "All That". Jepsen's lyrics and vocals are top notch, but what really has me grooving on this album is the lush orchestration and the skillful, seemingly effortless production.

7. About to Get Real, Easton Corbin
Every time I put this album on, a new song jumps out at me to fit my mood. "Guys and Girls," "About to Get Real," and "Just Add Water" are all catchy Country pop songs that are easy to sing along with after a few listens. "Wild Women and Whiskey" sounds like it was stolen from Dwight Yoakam, in the best way possible. "Damn Girl" is reminiscent of George Strait's "How 'Bout Them Cowgirls," and "Like a Song" is a smooth slow burner. This is Corbin's third album, and -- with his two previous efforts being just as solid as this one -- I'm surprised he is still in the up-and-coming category; he should have found mainstream success long before now, but maybe About to Get Real will allow him to reach the wider audience he deserves.

8. I'm Comin' Over, Chris Young
I had very high hopes for Chris Young's latest effort after being very impressed with his two prior albums and highly addicted to his single "I'm Comin' Over". The whole album is just as strong as that song. It gets off to a powerful start with "Heartbeat" and continues with such gems as "Alone Tonight" and "What If I Stay", with plenty of other goodies in between. Young stays true to his non-Bro themes and lyrics (even "Sunshine Overtime" sounds more like Tim McGraw than Luke Bryan), instead going for more timeless songs about good guys trying to win their girls with things like a good song on the radio or fixing cars, instead of beer cans and lift kits.

9. Locks on Doors, JT Hodges
Every song on this EP is bright and full of energy. I'm all about music that makes me smile, and this EP delivers right out of the gate with "Locks on Doors," which has a great driving rhythm and a chorus that got stuck in my head right away. Once I started doing a little reading on JT, I quickly learned that it was inevitable that I would become a fan, since he happens to be a fellow Horned Frog.

10. Meat & Candy, Old Dominion
While some of Old Dominion's songs aren't the most brilliant (or original -- I'm looking at you, "Song for Another Time") out there, they sure are full of catchy hooks ("Said Nobody" and "Til It's Over" in particular) and they bring a smile to my face, so these guys are definitely doing something right. Even if that something is unabashed pop pandering (which is most likely the case when a song called "Crazy Beautiful Sexy" is something that I find myself humming randomly during the day).

No comments: