1. Man About Town, Mayer Hawthorne
There is one problem with this album: at only 9 songs, it is way too short! The lead single "Love Like That" is excellent and totally got me hooked before I even heard the whole album, but that song is somehow eclipsed by my three favorite tracks: "Book of Broken Hearts" (that signature Hawthorne soul groove delightfully at odds with a sad tale), "Out of Pocket" (the horns remind me of Chicago, the band. Swoon.), and "Get You Back"
(that falsetto!). Hawthorne wears his influences on his sleeve
throughout this album, but that is such a good thing because he is able
to take all those influences and create a sound and a listening
experience that only he could ever produce – in both the literal and
technical senses of the word.
2. 50, Rick Astley
Somehow, I hadn't realized until this year that Rick Astley has written
the vast majority of his own songs and also plays a bunch of
instruments. I mean, clearly the man is talented, but he's modest too.
However, to Astley's credit, he knows his voice is his most powerful
instrument and he lets it shine in all its baritone glory on his latest
album (his first of original material in 15 years!). 50 is full
of deeply personal and spiritual songs, yet that famous baritone makes
them highly accessible and easy for anyone to relate to. While there
aren't as many immediately catchy songs as there are on his earlier albums, 50 still makes for highly enjoyable listening for audiences that have matured right along with Rick.
3. Farewell, Starlite!, Francis and the Lights
Nobody can imbue synths and other electronics so deeply with emotion as well as Francis Farewell Starlite can. Conjuring Phil Collins and Tangerine Dream circa Risky Business alongside a sound all his own, Francis and the Lights delivers yet another musical masterpiece, following 2010's It'll Be Better and the tour de force that is "Friends" earlier this year. After just one listen to Farewell, Starlite!, I was totally hooked. I don't know how he does it, but Francis is able to make music that immediately surrounds and envelops me; I want to live inside his sonic vision. There is not a bad track in the bunch, but I am especially moved by "I Want You to Shake", "May I Have This Dance", "Running Man / Gospel OP1", and "It's Alright to Cry".
3. Farewell, Starlite!, Francis and the Lights
Nobody can imbue synths and other electronics so deeply with emotion as well as Francis Farewell Starlite can. Conjuring Phil Collins and Tangerine Dream circa Risky Business alongside a sound all his own, Francis and the Lights delivers yet another musical masterpiece, following 2010's It'll Be Better and the tour de force that is "Friends" earlier this year. After just one listen to Farewell, Starlite!, I was totally hooked. I don't know how he does it, but Francis is able to make music that immediately surrounds and envelops me; I want to live inside his sonic vision. There is not a bad track in the bunch, but I am especially moved by "I Want You to Shake", "May I Have This Dance", "Running Man / Gospel OP1", and "It's Alright to Cry".
4. The Getaway, Red Hot Chili Peppers
This album is quite reminiscent of By the Way, but it doesn't feel like a retread. Rather, it has the timeless quality of a solid rock album. The title track is the standout, featuring an infectious melody and gorgeous backing vocals. Other highlights include "Sick Love", "The Longest Wave", "Encore", and "The Hunter". Not only are the songs well written and catchy, the album is a satisfyingly cohesive work of art.
5. Ripcord, Keith Urban
In anticipation of seeing Keith's Ripcord Tour, I figured I should probably
buy his new album and familiarize myself with it, and it didn't take long for me to fall in love with this infectious, well-produced collection. "John Cougar, John Deere, John 3:16" with it's stuttery rhythm and unique phrasing is pretty addictive, and who could resist "The Fighter" after watching Keith singing it to and with Nicole.
While I'm not sure that the Pitbull guest spot is a necessary addition to
this album (or any album), there are certainly plenty of great tracks, including "Wasted Time", "Habit of You", "Worry 'Bout Nothin'", and "Boy Gets a Truck".
6. Blackstar, David Bowie
Various tracks on this album reminded me of artists as diverse as Elbow and Bryan
Ferry -- yet Blackstar is unmistakably Bowie, and it is best
experienced as a whole album. The whole thing flows together so well,
creating a exquisitely haunting sonic landscape populated with
enigmatic, highly intelligent lyrics. Bowie has certainly left us with a
beautiful way to remember him and his limitless talent.
7. A Sailor's Guide to Earth, Sturgill Simpson
Simpson's album has been labeled by many as "Alt Country", and it is in fact about as alternative as you can get from
Country, with more of a Soul and old-school Rhythm & Blues sound
going for it than anything else, expressed with plenty of mighty fine
horn arrangements to spice things up. "Sea Stories" does sound like early Jimmy Buffett, who has his fair share of Country influences (and also used his far share of horns – "Saxophones" anyone?). While "All Around You" wouldn't sound out of place among the tracks on Van Morrison's Moondance. A Sailor's Guide to Earth
is very clearly meant to be listened to as an album; the whole thing is
one big, coherent work of sonic art with a surprising buoyancy that
will carry you across any ocean.
8. Vinyl, William Michael Morgan
This solid album conjures a throw-back Country sound (think '90s Country like George Straight,
Clint Black, Garth Brooks, etc.). Morgan's debut EP featured strong
songwriting and storytelling, and liberal use of steel guitar, all of which are also implemented on Vinyl's five new tracks. "Missing" and "Spend It All On You"
(which even has a little bit of a Jimmy Buffett vibe) are particular
standouts, with smooth guitar licks and catchy choruses. Other notable tracks include "Vinyl" (slow and sexy), "Lonesomeville" (a classic Country sob story with lyrics that are way above average), and "Cheap Cologne" (a clever cheatin' song). As the Country
scene continues to diversify away from 'Bro Country', William Michael
Morgan shows that classic Country vibes never go out of style.
9. Down to My Last Bad Habit, Vince Gill
This is a laid back, soulful album that sounds like a cross between Lyle Lovett,
Robert Cray, and a male version of Bonnie Raitt. The bluesy edge that
many of the songs (like "When It's Love") have fits especially well with Gill's rich,
resonant voice. There's also a guest spot and solo by the always
excellent Chis Botti on "One More Mistake I Made". This album is just right for back porch cocktails on a perfect summer night.
10. The Long Way, Sammy Adams
There is not one dud among the 15 tracks on The Long Way.
That being said some of my faves are "All Night Longer"
(though I love this in a slightly nostalgic way, since this would have
been more appropriate when I still actually went clubs); "Overboard" with those sick 80s/Harold Faltermeyer-esque beats kicking off the track; "This City",
which is pleasantly reminiscent of Justice's "D.A.N.C.E." with it's
sing-song chorus; and sexy, slinky "Vinyl".










No comments:
Post a Comment