Chicago at Ford Coney Island Amphitheater: This is my second time seeing Chicago at Coney Island, though this time I was right up front and it was a real venue rather than a stage in a parking lot. Still, Chicago puts on a high quality show no matter where they are and they certainly did not disappoint this time around. The newest member of the band is Jeff Coffey, taking over tenor and bass duties previously covered by Peter Cetera and Jason Scheff. Coffey fills these shoes ably, and I loved his renditions of "Street Player", "You're the Inspiration", "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", and "If You Leave Me Now". Chicago has been around for 50 years now (!!!), and they have the hits to show for it. The show was one big party and all nine band members seemed to be having a ball, especially the horn players (James Pankow on trombone, Lee Loughnane on trumpet, and Ray Hermann on sax). Even though the show was two and a half hours long (with a twenty minute intermission), it felt like it was over much too soon.
Take Every Wave: The Life of Laird Hamilton: I have long admired (and crushed on) Laird Hamilton, dating back to Riding Giants c. 2004 and the era when I was buying surf mags to decorate my room and fit with my Roxy/Quiksilver aesthetic. I was super excited to see Take Every Wave, and it did not disappoint. In fact, it was just as exhilarating as Riding Giants and solidified Laird as another of my flawed heroes (alongside the likes of Rod Stewart, Nikki Sixx, and Robert Evans). Laird has certainly had his share of personal and emotional issues over the years, but he embraces his mistakes and is unapologetic for achieving his goals and living his life on his own terms. He understands that his mistakes played a significant role in helping him achieve all his successes. Of course, the surfing footage is breathtaking and awe-inspiring, and Laird and his friends are all great storytellers who have some pretty amazing stories to tell thanks to years of outlandish adventures that pushed the envelope in every way possible. I especially enjoyed the stories told by Laird's old friend Buzzy Kerbox. I usually don't buy documentaries on DVD, but this is one I could easily watch over and over again.
Only the Brave: I hadn't read much about this film before I saw it, which turned out to be a good thing because I was pleasantly surprised by the depth and breadth of the film and the high quality of the performances, especially from Josh Brolin, James Badge Dale, Taylor Kitsch, and Miles Teller in the lead roles. I had expected the film to focus on one wildfire, but instead it tells the story of an extraordinarily dedicated group of men willing to make huge sacrifices for their community. The story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots is extremely compelling, so I can see why a film was made about this elite firefighting unit. Prior to seeing this film, I didn't know much about what it takes to fight wild fires, but I now have even greater respect for those who feel this job is their calling. Only the Brave does a wonderful job showing why the men of the Granite Mountain Hotshots are true heroes who should not be forgotten.
"Heartache on the Dance Floor", Jon Pardi: Every time I hear this song, I wish I was down in Texas dancing at a honkytonk. The infectious beat, killer chorus, and solid guitar solo make me want to put my arms up in the air and just let loose. Pardi's lyrics have a cinematic quality to them, painting such an evocative picture of sun-kissed unrequited love.
Queens of the Stone Age at Madison Square Garden: This is one of those shows that was so good I was able to lose myself in the music and forget about all the stress in my life for two blissful hours. I got so lost in the music, that I don't have a super clear recollection of the concert; I just know that Joshua and the boys played a tight, solid set and commanded the MSG stage like any massive rock band should. The sound and lighting were excellent, and the set was jam packed with all of my favorites from Villains and ...Like Clockwork, along with other gems like "Make It Wit Chu". I will be revisiting the amazing vibe of this in my mind for months to come any time I need an escape or release.
Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life, William Finnegan: This book has been on my list for a while, and I was finally inspired to purchase and read it after Take Every Wave had me jonesing for more surfing action and escapism. Even though I didn't understand the more technical bits about the mechanics of surfing, Finnegan's journey as a surfer – and as a person – was extremely compelling. I enjoyed many little moments of surprise and delight, like when he mentioned WFB and Firing Line, or when one of his more recent surfing buddies turned out to be my favorite Broadway dancer (John Selya from Movin' Out and Come Fly Away). Finnegan's life is not one I'd want to live (way too much roughing it), but Barbarian Days still provided a welcome sense of escapism and a window into many new and different places; it transports the reader the way all excellent books should, and it's not quite like any other that I've read.
The Rooster Bar, John Grisham: Grisham is back in fine form with a legal thriller reminiscent of The Firm. The story has many twists and turns, as well as completely incompetent protagonists, so I really had no idea what would happen from one page to the next, and I was kept on the edge of my seat up until the very last page. It's refreshing to read a thriller that's both fun and challenging, and I'm glad to see that Grisham is still capable of writing such an engaging and clever book.

No comments:
Post a Comment