"If It Feels Good (Then It Must Be)", Leon Bridges: As the lyrics themselves profess, this song is "hotter than Texas". Bridges' smooth voice glides over the top of a dangerously funky beat, with the result being the kind of song that wouldn't have been out of place in a roadhouse back in the days when music was all about soul and feeling, with no room for rules, decorum, and over-production.
Adrift: It is best to go into this movie without knowing much – or anything – about the true story on which it is based because there is a devastating twist in the film that wouldn't be nearly as powerful with foreknowledge of the story. Shailene Woodley and Sam Clafin are both excellent, but it is really Shailene's show and she does a terrific job delivering an honest and emotionally compelling performance that makes it easy to empathize with her character even if you've never been lost at sea. When I saw this movie, I happened to be reading a book about the Apollo program, and it struck me that sailors and astronauts have quite a bit in common: both pursuits require an unbelievably large amount of knowledge to ensure survival. The knowledge-base and ingenuity required for travel in space and by sea is staggering and awe-inspiring, and I have great respect for both kinds of explorers and travelers. In addition to showcasing the strength and smarts of Woodley's character, the film also contains a wonderfully depicted love story that gives Woodley's and Clafin's characters more substance while also providing grounding for the story and making it more relatable and memorable as a whole.
Francis and the Lights at Apollo Theater: This was one of the most unique live performances I've ever been to. It was just Francis Farewell Starlite up on stage doing his thing, which is comprised of singing, dancing in his own modern interpretative style, and creating some awesome visuals on the blank screen behind him. His performance was strange and brave and amazing, and the rawness of his performance style, especially his dancing, is courageous. I would imagine that to get up in front of so many people and express himself in such an open and honest way takes guts. The show was a feast for the senses that brought an extremely diverse audience together via the pure joy that Francis expresses through his performance.
Dances with Wolves, Michael Blake: It has been a while since I watched the movie Dances with Wolves, so I was able to create my own images of the story in my head, but from what I remember of the film, it seems to me that Kevin Costner did an excellent job of bringing the book to life. I can also see why he was compelled to make a film from this book: the story is a heady blend of the beautiful & inspiring with the heartbreaking, and the epic with the small. Blake's prose is vivid and highly descriptive, and does a terrific job capturing the romance of the American West and celebrating open-mindedness and adaptability, while also mourning for a people, a way of life, and human decency. I feel I now have an even deeper understanding of why the northern plains have come to mean so much to Costner, as evidenced by his South Dakota sculpture center, Tatanka: Story of the Bison, which just happens to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever had the privilege to visit, and an experience I treasure even more having read Dances with Wolves.
The Bugles Are Silent: A Novel of the Texas Revolution From the Alamo to San Jacinto, John R. Knaggs: I had gotten this book when I visited the Alamo four years ago, and I've been meaning to read it ever since. I'm glad I finally made time to do so because it's an engrossing novel that also taught me a lot about Texas history. While the book does get off to a slow start and Knaggs's writing can be clumsy at times, it's also an extremely detailed book with the result being a compelling and interesting novel. Contributing to this is the fact that Knaggs tells the story from both the Texan and Mexican sides of the revolution, providing a well-rounded (fictional) account of key battles and the strategizing and preparation that occurred on each side. He also does a great job making larger-than-life historical figures seem like regular people, which they were at the time. The bottom line is that Knaggs has written a historical novel that is equal parts entertaining and educational.
Youngblood, 5 Seconds of Summer: I had previously dismissed 5 Seconds of Summer as a Boy Band of the One Direction ilk. However, I was so taken by the album cover for Youngblood that I just had to see what music was being represented by the brash 80s-style graphics. I was pleasantly surprised to find a rock album whose influences span four decades and that is full of fun, anthemic tunes. "Want You Back" is a fantastic 80s pop-rock track that actually has a similar vibe to the HAIM song of the same name, and "Talk Fast" is another 80s-influenced track that is truly a bop. However, there are also influences from late-90s / early-00s rock bands like Sugar Ray, Lit, and Good Charolette, as evidenced by tracks like "Moving Along". "If These Walls Could Talk" is reminiscent of The Wanted's 2011 album, Battleground, while "Woke Up in Japan", "Best Friend", and "Better Man" offer more contemporary brooding, crunchy rock. Overall, Youngblood is an enjoyable rock album that molds a variety of influences into a cohesive collection of tracks.
Alan Cumming at Joe's Pub: Alan Cumming is a wonderful entertainer who knows how to captivate an audience. His current cabaret-style show, Alan Cumming: Legal Immigrant, includes a delightful collection of stories and songs, and aims to remind audiences that immigrants are what makes America great by showcasing their contributions to the arts. Alan's stories, often told with impish glee, were the highlight of the evening, though the music and songs were enjoyable as well. My favorite number was a medley of "How Far I'll Go" from Moana with "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid. Cumming's wide-ranging taste and influences, along with his witty and smart personality, allow him to come across as relatable and down-to-earth, and it was a pleasure to be part of his world for two hours.

No comments:
Post a Comment