12 December 2022

Best of 2022: Albums

1. Being Funny in a Foreign Language, The 1975
I am completely in love with this entire album. The lyrics are clever and sophisticated, which won my heart right off the bat. Sonically, this album is like a sequel to John Mayer's Sob Rock and is clearly influenced and inspired by so many of my favorites from over the years: LCD Soundsystem, Broken Social Scene, Peter Gabriel, Sting, Christopher Cross, general Yacht Rock vibes... but combining these sounds in new ways, resulting in music that is familiar and comforting and exciting and new all at once. Standout tracks include "Happiness", "I'm In Love With You", "Oh Caroline", "Wintering" (the opening is like Sting crossed with Paul Simon), "Part of the Band" (which includes the amazing lyric "I like my men like I like my coffee / Full of soy milk and so sweet it won't offend anybody"), "When We Are Together" ("Central Park is Sea World for trees"), and "About You" (which would be right at home on the Drive soundtrack). However, this album is my very favorite kind: one that is a pleasure to listen to from beginning to end with no dud songs.

2. Indigo, RM
This was one of my most anticipated albums of the year (even though I had less than a month to anticipate it, since it wasn't announced until November 10th), and it does not disappoint. In a letter to ARMY, RM requests "I hope that you will listen to it chronologically" and Indigo is truly best enjoyed as a full album. Even though myriad genres are represented across the album, it is a cohesive artistic statement. It took me a while to settle on a "favorite" song, but "Hectic" tends to catch my ear every time I listen to the album, and "Still Life" is wonderfully upbeat with a catchy English chorus. The lead single "Wildflower" is also pretty great, with a soaring chorus from guest vocalist youjeen; "Closer" is filled with aching and longing; "Forg_tful" is a lovely folk ballad; and "All Day" is a fun and energetic hip-hop track. "Lonely" and "Change pt. 2" are infinitely relatable, and they are the only solo tracks on the album. Like Calvin Harris, RM is adept at choosing collaborators who add a great deal of depth to the tracks to which they lend their voices or production skills, resulting in an album with so many layers that new ones unfold themselves with each listening experience.

3. There and Back Again, Eric Nam
This album of pure pop pleasure is like a mix of Nick Jonas and Will Young, with the extra level polish expected from a singer who started his career within the K-Pop system (though Nam is American). "Lost on Me" has just the right R&B inflection, "Any Other Way" brings to the mind the dance-pop of The Weeknd, "What If" feels like a late 90s boy band song in the best way possible, and "One Way Lover" closes out the seven song set with a contemporary slow jam reminiscent of something from Justin Bieber. Clocking in at just under 20 minutes, the only way this album could be better is if it were longer.

4. Anaïs Mitchell, Anaïs Mitchell
A lovely, gentle New York-centric folk album from the woman who conceived of Hadestown. Opening track "Brooklyn Bridge" pulls the listener in with rich storytelling, and "Bright Star" keeps the momentum going. "On Your Way (Felix Song)" is another favorite. I love this album for moments I just want to chill out, relax, and unwind. It's deep music that is also undemanding.

5. Charlie, Charlie Puth
It took me a while to warm up to this album, but seeing Charlie Puth in concert revealed its genius to me. Aside from "Left and Right", my fave song is "Smells Like Me", which was stuck in my head for weeks after seeing Charlie in concert. I love the lyrics and the phrasing. The synths are beautiful and the chorus is damn catchy. I also love "There's a First Time for Everything" and "That's Hilarious". While this album isn't quite as strong as Voice Notes, it still has many well-crafted, earworm-y songs.

6. Funk Wav Bounces vol. 2, Calvin Harris
I've been a Calvin Harris fan since the beginning, and while I wish he would do more singing these days, I still support his work, though some of it connects more than others. Funk Wav Bounes vol. 1 was a bit hit or miss for me, but vol. 2 delivers all mellow late night, end of summer vibes that one could want. The best song in the set is "Obsessed" in which Charlie Puth channels Michael McDonald (just go with it), ably backed by Shenseea. Coming in at a close second is "New To You", feat. Normani, Tinashe & Offset. I also recommend pushing aside the rather banal Dua Lipa feature "Potion" and going for the Jora Smith feature "Somebody Else", which offers a seductive slow-burn sound. Other featured artists include Busta Rhymes, Snoop Dogg, Halsey, Justin Timberlake, and Pharell, all contributing their unique vocal styles on top of Calvin's slinky grooves and flawless production.

7. 5SOS5, 5 Seconds of Summer
It has been a pleasure to listen to this brand grow and mature. 5SOS5 is their most sophisticated album yet, both lyrically and musically. Some of my favorite tracks are "Easy for You to Say", "You Don't Go to Parties", "Bad Omens", "Me Myself & I", "CAROUSEL", and "HAZE". All the songs on this album are so thoughtfully crafted and richly evocative & emotive.

8. Gravity and the Stars Above, Donaher
This delightful sophomore album is even better than Donaher's debut and makes me nostalgic for the Orange County soundtrack and the band Lit (which, to be clear, is a very good thing). "For Your Love" is the standout track here, with “Sleepless in New England” and “Worth the Wait” coming in close on its heels. The band also delivers a solid punk rock cover of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow." I love that this band continues to evolve and explore new themes and sounds. Hopefully they'll continue to do so for years to come.


No comments: