03 October 2010

GatsbyWire: Awful casting news!

favorite book cover ever!
Moulin Rouge director Baz Luhrmann hasn't lined up a new movie since his 2008 belly-flop Australia, but the director told MTV he has two projects ready to go: an adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, and a New York City–set musical. "I've got the script for both of them and I'm making that decision in four to six weeks, no longer than six weeks," he said, adding, "It's just a question of ... what is the next right step for me." Production Weekly tweeted that Gatsby might already have a cast, fingering Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby, his longtime friend Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway, and Amanda Seyfried as Daisy Buchanan. Hopefully everyone involved this time will be proud of their efforts! [Movies Blog/MTV, Production Weekly] (via Vulture)

Things that shouldn't be in the same sentence: "Leonardo DiCaprio" and "Jay Gatsby." Blerg to the max. I saw this headline on two different blogs and each viewing filled me with revulsion anew. While Jay Gatsby is a man-child, and DiCaprio often plays this type of role, this is just all kinds of wrong. DiCaprio does not have the looks or the voice for Gatsby - the character is simply not as intense as DiCaprio tends to play. I have to admit, Robert Redford doesn't exactly fit with my vision of Gatsby either, but that seems like genius casting compared to this. And Amanda Seyfried as Daisy? I would not stare at a green light in the middle of the night for that girl. She does not have the illusion of breeding necessary to play Daisy. At least Luhrmann isn't making Gatsby into a New York City-set musical, as I first thought the blurb above was telling me (note to self: read more slowly).

I haven't given Gatsby casting much thought since the possibility of a new film came up in late 2008, but some quick reflection makes me think that Josh Lucas could pull off Gatsby. He has the right atitude and he is simply an excellent actor. After seeing him on stage, I know he could pull off the indifference hiding deeper emotions and longing that make Jay Gatsby such a complex and interesting character. I think he could do a fine job with this role. I would even rather see Billy Crudup, Campbell Scott, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, or even Timothy Olyphant as Gatsby over DiCaprio. Though Damon, Scott, or Crudup would be good for Tom Buchanan as well. Nicole Kidman (or dare I say Gwyneth Paltrow?) seems perfect for the role of Daisy. Both have the poise and spoiled elegance the character requires, while Jessica Biel is a shoe-in for Jordan Baker. Nick Caraway is a little bit trickier, but perhaps Rayan Gosling, Rupert Friend or Casey Affleck could embody that character as well as Sam Waterston did.

Since On the Road is underway with questionable casting of its own, I suppose it is time I re-read these books and then decide whether or not I want to shatter some illusions. Some films of my favorite books I have loved in their own right (High Fidelity, Never Let Me Go, various versions of The Chronicles of Narnia), while others I have chosen to avoid (The Golden Compass). Only time will tell my ultimate feeling towards these newest literary adaptations, or possibly abominations.


Update 10/3 9:15pm:
After Production Weekly tossed out the names of Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Amanda Seyfried for the rumored Baz Luhrmann version of The Great Gatsby, Deadline is tempering that buzz a bit. Mike Fleming claims that Luhrmann, though still unsure if Gatsby will even be his next film, has had a conversation with DiCaprio about playing Jay Gatsby; however, Leo has not yet said yes, and no offer has been made. Tobey Maguire is reportedly “at the top of Luhrmann’s mind” to play Nick Carraway. Seyfried, on the other hand, has not been targeted for the role of Daisy, as the part is apparently “wide open in Luhrmann’s mind.” Nikki Finke likes Carey Mulligan for the role; Fleming favors Natalie Portman... or Nicole Kidman, if they "cast older." [Deadline] (via Vulture)

No comments: