18 December 2011

Best of 2011: Concerts

In 2011, it seems that concerts tended to be either epic-ish or blah (there are shows I saw at the beginning of the year that I can barely remember). I cut down on my concert going quite a bit this year (39 shows versus 57 and 58 in 2010 and 2009, respectively), finally tiring of spending money on artists I wasn't all that passionate about or greatly interested in, not to mention having to put up with all the annoying hipsters at the shows. There also didn't seem to be as many of my favored artists on tour this year, though the ones that were more than made up for the deficit. The truly memorable shows are experiences I hope to treasure for quite some time.

1. LCD Soundsystem, Terminal 5 and Madison Square Garden, 28-31 March and 2 April
I have already written a 2,400 word post about these shows, so I probably shouldn't write much more. However, at this juncture I can add that I can't believe these shows took place way back at the end of March - they are still so fresh in my mind! Unbeatable, visceral experiences. LCD certainly went out with a bang befitting their legendary stature in the elecrtro/disco/dance/NYC (and general music) scene.

2. Glasvegas, Bowery Ballroom, 23 May
Another show that was so good, I had to post about it immediately, along with many good pics of lead singer James (that boy has some solid guns!), who is excellent at striking photograph-worthy poses. I am happy to get lost in those trademark fuzzy guitars for hours on end, and as a bonus there were no blinding strobes on this tour!

3. Bryan Ferry, Beacon Theatre, 6 October
I got into Bryan Ferry in 2002, at the very end of high school. I remember rocking out to Roxy Music while reading the Bourne trilogy. That was my senior spring; achingly hip. It just so happens that Bryan Ferry's last US tour was in 2002, and clearly I was not yet into him enough, nor a prolific concert-goer, at that point to see that tour. I feel like he might have done a UK tour when I was living over in England, but concerts were often logistical nightmares over there, not to mention pricey thanks to a horribly high exchange rate. (Disclaimer: I did see him live at the Concert for Diana in 2007, but he only did three songs there, so I don't count that as a true show.) However, for nine years I have kept the faith, and sure enough, he finally did another US tour (though shockingly only one date in New York). One night is all I really needed, but once I had seen him that one night, I wished I could see him again immediately. Ferry's voice is still fantastic, and he is an old-school showman/entertainer. My seat had a crappy view of the stage, but that didn't stop "Slave to Love," "Make You Feel My Love," "Avalon," "Jealous Guy," and "Love Is The Drug" from sounding particularly amazing. Worth the nine year wait for sure.



4. Dave Koz, Best Buy Theatre, 11 February
There is something to be said for last-minute ticket purchases, even though I usually have my concert going all planned out and am poised over the Ticketmaster site the moment the Amex pre-sale for a show begins. Dave Koz has been a favorite of my mother for a long time; so much so that if I could play the saxophone, I could probably play his album The Dance in my sleep. As it is, I can identify that album from any random piece on it. My parents had gone to Koz's show up in Boston on the 10th and came home with rave reviews. I had nothing going on the Friday night he was playing New York, so I logged on right then and bought a ticket. My parents had the advantage of seeing him at Sculler's Jazz Club, a far superior venue to the Best Buy Theatre, but their rave review was still warranted. Dave Koz is the elfin Hugh Jackman of the smooth jazz scene (because of all his charisma and "hopping around" according to my mother); the man has boundless energy and clearly loves to perform. My favorite part of the night was the highly interactive audience singalong to "The Sha la Song," which just happens to be my very favorite Dave Koz song, and is rather impossible not to sing a long with anyway. This was a wonderful, energizing break from my usual type of show and a great refresher in the doldrums of mid-winter.

5. The Darkness, Hammersmith Apollo, 25 November
This is another case of a band I had been waiting a while to see live. They have toured the US before, but not all that extensively, and then they broke up, so things weren't looking too good for a while. However, when I saw that The Darkness had gotten back together over the summer and just happened to be playing in London the weekend I was going to be there for Thanksgiving, it seemed meant to be. Justin Hawkins is just awesome. I imagine that seeing The Darkness is what it was like to see Aerosmith or similar in their prime. This was simply a solid rock show with great energy. To top it off, Brian May from Queen joined the band for three songs during the encore; "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" has never sounded better. I could have done without audience members throwing cups of beer, but that is England for you. Pics here.

6. Buckcherry, Music Hall of Williamsburg, 11 August
I was on the fence about going to this show. "Crazy Bitch" has been a long time favorite, but I didn't know many of their other songs. However, it was a fundraiser and I figured I would never get another chance to see them in such a small, intimate venue, so I might as well go for it. Turns out that I made the right choice. This was another solid rock show and it made me wonder why I hadn't ever really gotten into Buckcherry, because they are kind of awesome. Brief post here.

7. Kylie Minogue, Hammerstein Ballroom, 2 & 3 May
Kylie is the consummate showgirl, and this tour was no exception. I think the second night was a little bit better than the first, but I can't really say why, since the set list was the same on both nights. Maybe it was because on the second night I could really concentrate on the music, after getting the sensory overload out of the way on the first night. This tour focused on the Aphrodite album, which was one of my favorites from 2010 and still dominates my shuffle. This show was like a mini Cirque du Soleil, with many of the dancers doubling as aerialists, and a set that would put most Broadway musicals to shame. However, unlike Kylie's 2009 tour, I felt that this tour put more emphasis on the greater spectacle of the thing than on the songs. Still, there was an excellent mash-up of "Love At First Sight" with "Can't Beat the Feeling," plus "Better the Devil You Know" and "On A Night Like This" are always a treat live.



8. Chuck Ragan, The Bell House, 16 May
This is my second time seeing Chuck Ragan live, thanks to my friend Matt, who absolutely loves him (along with Joey Cape/Lagwagon, Ben Nichols/Lucero, Jon Snodgrass/Drag the River, Tim Barry/Avail, etc.). While I have not been able to get into Chuck's or Hot Water Music's material in recorded form, Mr. Ragan blows me away each time I see him live. Talk about a performer who puts everything he has into every performance. This guy always seems to end his sets with a drenched shirt and huge smile on his face. His music sounds completely different live than it does on a record, in part because he pushes his already raw voice to the limit for each and every song. I had the pleasure of attending this show with Matt who had come down to Brooklyn for his birthday, but next time Chuck rolls through town, I will be sure to see him, whether Matt is with me or not. For an idea of the intense craziness/joy that was going on, check out this encore from the show, where Chuck is joined by openers The Sharks (also very good and worth catching live again).

No comments: