I got into Sam Sparro soon after I moved to New York in 2008. At this point, I don't remember how I found out about him, but it was probably by being drawn to "Black and Gold" on some music blog. One listen and I was hooked.
That year, Mr. Sparro was supposed to play New York twice, but both shows were cancelled due to "visa issues." And as far as I know, he didn't return to our fair city until October 2011. Unfortunately, I had another show to go to the night he was playing, and I found out about Sam's show too late to unload my already-purchased ticket on craigslist.
Needless to say, I was psyched to finally be able to see and hear him live at long last, and I am very happy to report that it was well worth the wait. Sparro has an absolutely fantastic voice and a great musical sensibility. (Also a great sense of aesthetics and style - this is apparently the week of suit and bow-tie clad performers.) He performed mostly new songs, which will be on his forthcoming album, Return to Paradise. This new material is deliciously disco tinged, with "Happiness" and "The Shallow End" being fast favorites. I have a feeling this album will be a perfect summer soundtrack, along with Scissor Sisters (have you listened to "Only the Horses"?!?!?).
Here's to warm weather and effervescent music!
No comments:
Post a Comment