The Beach Boys have long been one of my most favorite bands. When I was little, Made In The U.S.A., a collection of their hits, was one of my most-played cassettes. And then, of course, there was "Kokomo," from one of my other favorite cassettes: the unbeatable Cocktail original motion picture soundtrack. When I got older, I came to have greater appreciation for the band's more mature work, best exemplified by Pet Sounds, but also by albums like Wild Honey, Smiley Smile, Sunflower, and Surf's Up. The last time I saw The Beach Boys live was in 1993 at Brandeis University. At that point, it was the Mike Love version of the band, rather than the "original" group. When I heard about the 50th Anniversary Tour with Wilson, Love, and the whole shebang, I knew this was a show I couldn't miss.
The band did a great job covering the true breadth of their work and paying tribute to Dennis and Carl Wilson, who both contributed greatly to the band's sound in its formative years. The real surprise of this particular show was that John Stamos was not only the emcee, but also awesome on drums, and brought terrific energy to the whole night; he stepped in to cover for technical glitches, and even hoisted one tutu clad and bewildered little girl onto the stage during the encore. It was like several major pop-cultural elements of my childhood converged in one magical evening. Just to bring everything full-circle, sitting next to me was a family with two little girls who weren't far off from the age at which I first saw The Beach Boys. They seemed to be having a great time, and I hope they treasure the night even more than I do. They won't be so lucky as to see this peerless group twice in a lifetime.
| Stamos on bongos for "Kokomo"! |
2. Calvin Harris, XS The Nightclub at Encore, 11 February
Yes, Calvin has let the whole superstar DJ thing go to his head a little bit, and his work isn't as consistently amazing like is was as recently as 2009-2010. However, my devotion to following him and his career has not flagged. It's still hard to believe that in the not-too-distant past, I would say that my favorite artist is Calvin Harris, and then have to launch into a explanation of who he is and what type of music he does and how Bryce and I discovered him while we were living in England, etc. etc. These days, he is pretty much a household name and on the Billboard charts. While Calvin's career (or his approach to it) hasn't taken the exact trajectory that I would have chosen, I can't help but be happy for him that he has achieved such a great level of success. I was in Vegas to see Mötley Crüe's residency at The Hard Rock Hotel, but smartly chose to plan that show for Sunday night. Because my luck is awesome, Calvin happened to be playing XS (in my very favorite hotel ever, the Wynn) on Saturday night. I had an early flight out to Vegas that same morning; due to the time difference, going to this show caused me to be up for over 24 hours, five of which were spent in 4.5" heels. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.
3. Chris Botti, Beacon Theatre, 24 July
I have seen Chris Botti live so many times by now that I've sort of lost count. However, the man is a god when it comes to playing the trumpet and putting on a good show, so it's hard to pass up an opportunity to see him. Apparently other people didn't feel the same way, and the orchestra had failed to sellout. Lucky for me, this meant that my balcony ticket was upgraded to orchestra upon arrival at the venue for no extra charge. Major win! The thing that made this show a stand-out was Lisa Fischer as the guest vocalist. This woman can *sing*! Seriously amazing voice, and vocal control and range. I was in awe, and that's not a place I get to very often. The funked-up version of "The Look of Love" performed this night was like nothing I have ever heard before, and it's something I'll never forget.
4. Bon Iver, Radio City Music Hall, 19 September
Originally, I was going to skip Bon Iver, and then I realized I was an idiot. How could I pass up a chance to see and hear one of my very favorite songs, "Beth/Rest," performed live?! Fortunately, I was able to find a face-value ticket on Craigslist, and I am so glad that I did. The show was fantastic - Bon Iver's music is even better live than it is recorded, helped along by the fact that the band has gotten so much tighter since I saw them at Town Hall in 2008. On top of everything, the stage was gorgeous and the vibe of the evening was perfectly mellow and relaxing.
5. Emeli Sandé, Music Hall of Williamsburg, 24 April
I had heard great things about Emeli Sandé from the internet, and was thrilled to get a chance to see one of her first US shows. Not only is she a great lyricist, but her voice is truly phenomenal. This show was one of those rare times that I got the feeling of watching the beginning of something big. After having seen Emeli twice this year, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that she could be the next Whitney Houston, on merits of both talent and personality.
6. Mayer Hawthorne, Webster Hall, 16 April
Mayer Hawthorne is sort of my new Calvin Harris. That is to say, I find him to be adorable, his music to be amazing, and his taste in footwear commendable. Mayer is a great live performer, and I was lucky to snag a spot in the first row for this show at Webster Hall. I can't wait until he comes through town again, but until then I'll just keep his episode of Live from Daryl's House on a loop, which I will watch with my Mayer Hawthorne bobblehead by my side.
7. Sam Sparro, Highline Ballroom, 21 April
I've only had to wait four years to see Sam Sparro live. No biggie. I am very happy to report that this show lived up to my very high, and long in the making, expectations. Sam's new material is even better than his older stuff, and this show was such a treat. April was a very good month for shows this year.
8. Gossip, Brooklyn Bowl, 27 September
I can't believe that it took me so long to get into Gossip, especially considering the group-at-large that influences my music selections. But better late than never, as the saying goes. At least I was turned on to "Move In The Right Direction" in plenty of time to snag tickets to this intimate set. Beth Ditto is quite the show-woman; girl knows how to work a stage, no doubt about it. Gossip are another band who are better live than recorded, especially when they do things like open the encore with a powerhouse cover of "What's Love Got To Do With It." Yet another group to add to my must-see-every-time-they-come-through-town list.
9. Glen Campbell, Town Hall, 7 January
I went back and forth a bit, but in the end I had to put Glen Campbell a spot above Carbon Leaf not only because he's *Glen Campbell*, but also because I know I won't get another chance this good to see him again. I was in something like the third row for this show. Watching this great man do what he loves and what he does best was a real treat. I find it incredibly brave and courageous that Glen is out on tour, even while he is beset by Alzheimer's. Sure, he slipped-up a couple of times, but it was easy to forgive and move on. The way he and his children, three of whom are in his band, interacted was incredibly touching. There was a lot of love up on stage that night, making this show one for the books.
10. Carbon Leaf, Brooklyn Bowl, 20 June
Carbon Leaf gets special honors as a jam band that not only can I tolerate, but also genuinely enjoy. A lot of that has to do with Carter Gravatt, who, from what I can tell, is able to play any stringed instrument ever. He made the cover of Zeppelin's "Bron Y Aur Stomp" particularly rousing during this show. To top it off, I got to talk to both Carter and Barry after the show, and they were such gentlemen, as they always are. Here is band that truly cares about connecting with fans, which guarantees they will always be able to count me as one.
No comments:
Post a Comment