14 December 2013

Best of 2013: Concerts

1. Sting
The Public Theater, 1 October
There was no doubt in my mind that this benefit show would be special, but it actually exceeded my already high expectations. Sublime is the word that best  describes the whole performance, but the surprise inclusion of "When We Dance" (the show was supposed to just be new material from The Last Ship), literally brought tears to my eyes -- it is one of the most beautiful live performances I've ever experienced. Other highlights were "All This Time" (my very favorite Sting song) as the encore & spotting Hugh Jackman in the audience. This is one of my all-time top 5 shows and it won't be getting knocked out of position any time soon.

2. Mayer Hawthorne
Bowery Ballroom, 15 July
After 5 years of heavy concert going, I don't care all that much about being right up front anymore, but Mayer Hawthorne is an exception to that attitude. I was front, center, and leaning on the stage for this one, and it was an awesome show. Music is my drug, and what a high this show gave me -- I was all tingly afterward. Mr. Hawthorne has charisma to spare and clearly enjoys performing. The new material from Where Does This Door Go was fantastic live, and integrated seamlessly with material from his two previous albums and random one-off songs. 

3. Chris Isaak
Capitol Theatre, 13 July
Even though I've seen Chris Isaak a number of times, never before had I seen him from such a close vantage point (3rd row, center!). I swear the man made eye contact with me a couple of times. It felt like he was looking into my soul (I will be your "Pretty Woman" any time, Chris!). Chris always puts on a good show, but this one seemed even better than usual. It was a great blend of his classic material/hits and his newer Sun Records material. The only thing that was missing was Kenny Dale on drums -- I hope he gets better and is back with the band the next time I see them.

4. Chicago
Coney Island, 21 August
Thanks to the final Marty Markowitz Seaside Summer Concert, I now know that I love Chicago, the band. I can't believe I've been missing out on them for so long! These guys put on a killer two hour set. The band has such great chemistry and are so high energy, which is awesome considering how long they've been around. There was even one song ("Street Player") that I recognized because it's sampled in a song on one of the Hed Kandi compilations in my collection. So random, and so cool. This was a heck of a way to close out a summer full of many awesome shows.

5. Carbon Leaf
City Winery, 11 July
Every time I see Carbon Leaf live, I wish I could see them more often because their live show has a fluid energy that can't be captured on any album. Thank goodness they have started making their shows available on USB drives because that is the closest I'll ever come to capturing and reliving the magic of their live shows at home. Carter keeps adding more instruments to his repertoire, and totally killed it with his solos during the cover of "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp," like he always does. To close out the night, I was able to get a picture with Carter. He and the rest of band are so gracious to their fans; gentlemen of the finest order all around.

6. Billy Currington
Webster Hall, 5 September
I've liked several Billy Currington singles over the years, but wasn't sure what to expect from this show. Turns out that Billy is an engaging and endearing performer. He has a bit of a hot mess vibe going on for him; not quite what I was expecting from his pretty-boy press photos, but it totally works for him. Despite the drunk, middle-aged woman falling into me repeatedly, the show was pretty great. Billy did the singles I know, made me buy his new album based on what I heard of it during the set, and did a bunch of super fun covers ("Signed, Sealed, Delivered," "Family Tradition," "Man in the Mirror," & "Get Lucky"). I didn't try to be upfront for this show, but I ended up there anyway and was glad I did.

7. New York Pops with Chris Botti
Carnegie Hall, 4 October
I adore Chris Botti, and his performance with the New York Pops seemed the perfect excuse for my first visit to Carnegie Hall. I am not sure how much the orchestra really added to what was pretty much Chris's standard set, but the encore of "Let's Stay Together," with Sy Smith on vocals, was pretty darn amazing. Also, watching Billy Kilson on drums from above made me appreciate his skills even more than I already did.
8. Robin Thicke
Highline Ballroom, 23 October
I've gotten into Robin Thicke a little late in the game, so all the "Blurred Lines" gloss hadn't prepared me for how talented and gifted the man actually is. He sounds even better live than he does on his albums. I am glad I got this chance to see him in a small venue, especially since I will miss him on tour next year. Plus, I had no idea he played the keys in addition to singing and writing such darn catchy, soulful songs. Kudos to Mr. Thicke for working what he's got and giving it his all.
9. Duncan Sheik
54 Below, 12 September
I've always liked Duncan Sheik's music, but I thought of him more as "that musician that my Rabbi co-officiated a wedding with one time" (true story). However, the American Psycho musical re-ignited my interest in Mr. Sheik this year (by the way, he is awesome on Twitter). As you can see from the photo, I had a terrible seat (j/k). The set included songs from various musicals he's written for, a fantastic cover of Depeche Mode's "Stripped," songs from his forthcoming album, a few of his older songs, and a surprising nod to the mainstream with an encore of "Barely Breathing." Now I need to build up my back-catalog and seek out his musicals.

10. Jamie Lidell
Heaven, 8 March
If you're going to spend your birthday alone in London, then this is the way to do it. This was the very first show of Jamie's world tour to support his new eponymous album. The visuals and the music just blew me away, as Mr. Lidell's performances always do. As one of my acquaintances commented on Instagram, "Always surprises me that THAT voice comes outta THAT guy." I was able to see Jamie live four times this year, and each show had different elements that made it special and memorable. However, this first live exposure to the new material (and in London, to boot) was truly special. Heaven was an absolutely perfect venue for this visually intense show.

No comments: