31 March 2016

March Favorites


Zootopia: A fun and thoroughly engaging animated caper that feels much more grown up than most animated fare. The central mystery had me guessing until the end, and there are plenty of pop culture 'easter eggs' scattered along the way to keep it all from getting too dark and serious.

A Room of My Own: One of the best off-Broadway plays I've seen in quite some time. While the 'coming-of-age in late 70s Greenwich Village' story didn't offer anything new or fresh, the acting was wonderful. Each and every actor was completely committed to his or her role, not least Joli Tribuzio as the streetwise matriarch, and the incomparable Mario Cantone as her closeted brother. The seamless performances really made this production come to life in ways I wouldn't have expected. And the soundtrack of disco hits didn't hurt either.

Remember: This movie is sort of like an Alzheimer's version of Memento with a Holocaust twist. That may sound weird, but it really works -- it kept me guessing right up until the end. Christopher Plummer gives a fine performance as a man out for vengeance, but one who can't always remember his mission. The final scene is devastating, and well worth the patience needed to follow the twisting journey taken to get there, as well as the pain of watching a man struggle with dementia.

Eye in the Sky: I'd like to think this film is a satire of bureaucracy from the eyes (no pun intended) of the military. Of course, I would think that, because I'm much more inclined to support our troops than those who can't begin (or refuse) to fathom the consequences their office-bound decisions have for those on the ground. The bureaucracy in question here is British, but I can't imagine that an American one would be depicted much differently (Benghazi, anyone?). Eye in the Sky balances the message that time is of the essence in a combat zone with the concept that few decisions are easy to make when lives are in the balance. In a way, the final decision that needs to be made in the film's climactic scenario reminded me of exercises from the Talmud workbook we had in Hebrew School -- i.e. when faced with two 'bad' actions, how does one decide which is less bad? Eye in the Sky delivers plenty of food for thought, along with a masterful final performance from the inimitable Alan Rickman.

Creative Control: My Twitter review posted immediately after seeing the film assessed it as 'gorgeously shot and surprisingly soulful.' Which is true, except that soulful is an interesting word, since it's almost the main character's lack of a soul, or even a sense of himself, that makes him oddly sympathetic. In many ways, this film reminded me of American Psycho (the film version); the character of David could be a close cousin of Patrick Bateman. Both of these men have become lost within the world they inhabit, lacking true connection with anyone around them, blindly pursuing the ideals imposed by corporate culture, turning to delusion or illusion in an attempt to feel even the slightest emotion. The void at the center of these two lives is strangely beautiful and compelling -- its otherness a fascinating siren call. The contradictory nature of this rich emptiness is further emphasized by the truly stunning black & white cinematography. Beyond the American Psycho parallels, Creative Control offers a nuanced look at addiction, relationships, and advertising. I have honestly been thinking about this film all month and wish I had the time to see it again at the cinema, since the big screen allows the images and ideas to envelop the audience. (As a bonus, the writer/director/star, Benjamin Dickinson has quoted Dawn Powell in an interview and on Twitter, which is special because I feel like not that many people know about Dawn Powell, even though she is/was an exceptionally evocative writer; and come to think of it, many of her books also feature a threatening sense of emptiness, longing, and/or ennui.)

Mayer Hawthorne Man About Town Listening Party: This was, hands down, the highlight of my month. Two weeks later, I still can't quite believe it was real. Not only did I get to hear Mayer Hawthorne's new album (which is even more awesome than I'd hoped), hang out with the man himself and get a picture with him (hello, new lock screen!), and drink free wine, but I also got to meet and trade small talk with Sammy Adams, who put out one of my Top 10 albums of 2010 (check it; it's still amazing). The only problem is, I didn't realize it was Sammy Adams until just after I (briefly) spoke with him, and by the time I had gotten my pic with Mayer and collected my swag, Sammy was on his phone -- so I didn't get to tell him how much I love his music, or get a photo with him, which would have put the night even more over the top. So Sammy, if you're reading this, I'm glad we were both able to safely retrieve our phones from the basket, and I think your music's phenomenal!

William Michael Morgan EP, William Michael Morgan: This is such a solid EP that is unquestionably Country music, sort of in the George Strait/Garth Brooks/90s vein, which is solid company to be in. Each of the six songs on this EP is a winner, thanks to strong songwriting and storytelling, and liberal use of steel guitar. "Vinyl" is slow and sexy. "Beer Drinker" celebrates the working man in an understated way. "I Met a Girl" is a gentle song about love at first sight. "Lonesomeville" is a classic Country sob story with lyrics that are way above average. "Cheap Cologne" is the cheatin' song. And "Back Seat Driver" is the sentimental song about a departed loved one. While all of these songs check the typical thematic boxes, they do it in a highly memorable way due to that strong writing, as well as an unfailingly sincere delivery from William Michael Morgan. I look forward to hearing more material from him and his band as soon as possible.

The Long Way, Sammy Adams: I've already mentioned how awesome Sammy Adams is, and it's rather fortuitous that I ran into him at Mayer Hawthorne's listening party because it got me super hyped for his new and very long awaited album, The Long Way. If you know me, you know I'm not super into rap and hip-hop, aside from Beastie Boys, but Sammy Adams is the one other artist from that genre that I truly enjoy on a regular basis. I usually play Boston's Boy once or twice a year and wonder what he's been up to since 2010. In fact, I got on iTunes this January and downloaded everything that he had done since that debut album. The Long Way was certainly worth the (long) wait, as there is not one dud among the 15 tracks on offer. That being said some of my faves are "All Night Longer" (though I love this in a slightly nostalgic way, since this would have been more appropriate when I still truly enjoyed going to clubs); "Overboard" with those sick 80s/Harold Faltermeyer-esque beats kicking off the track; "This City", which is pleasantly reminiscent of Justice's "D.A.N.C.E." with it's sing-song chorus (once again, feeling kind of old, since that song came out in 2007!); "Vinyl" in all of its slinkiness; and the anthemic "Remember".  I am currently kicking myself for not ever going to see Sammy live over the past six years, but hopefully I'll get to make up for that egregious lapse soon.

No comments: