17 December 2010

Best of 2010: Albums

The trend for 2010 seems to be albums that really and truly work as entire albums while still producing many addictive, high quality singles and other songs that enhance the album experience while still standing strongly on their own.
  
1. This Is Happening, LCD Soundsystem
The long wait for a new LCD album was worth it. Every time I listen to the album, I have a different favorite song depending on my mood and how closely I am listening. James Murphy and team are true craftspeople, creating songs that stand on their own so well but are beautifully cohesive in the album format, and also fit so well with their previous material in live sets. The only song I could do without is "Drunk Girls." Everything else is just pretty much amazing.


2. Come and Get It, Eli "Paperboy" Reed & The True Loves
Ever since Eli and the boys started playing the song "Come and Get It" back in 2008, it has been one of my very favorites. I knew I would be in for a treat with this sophomore effort, and I wasn't disappointed. I'm not such a fan of "Explosion," the last song on the album, but the cover of "Young Girl" was one of my favorite songs of the summer and "Name Calling," "Help Me," "I Found You Out," and "Pick A Number" are all sweet, fun little songs as well. On the more introspective side, Eli and the guys offer up "Time Will Tell," "Just Like Me," and "Pick Your Battles." This album covers a good range of throwback soul styles, while showcasing Eli's powerful voice and benefiting from the addition of JB Flatt on keyboards and backing vocals.

3. Aphrodite, Kylie Minogue
I absolutely love this album! It was in near constant rotation for the duration of the summer because this album is like aural sunshine. It is hard not to get totally jazzed and grin from ear-to-ear when listening to this album. It puts a spring in my step and makes me want to dance. My highlights are: "All The Lovers," "Get Outta My Way," "Put Your Hands Up," "Aphrodite," "Better Than Today," "Too Much" (co-written and produced by Calvin Harris!!), and "Can't Beat the Feeling." Like the goddess of this album's title, Kylie is simply divine.

4. Love Harder, Ali Love
I waited until November to get this album, and I really shouldn't have deprived myself so long. I was already familiar with three of the tracks from Hed Kandi compilations and elbo.ws, but the album as a whole is even better than the sum of it's parts.  The songs "Show Me" and "Talk to Tokyo" were fast favorites. Ali Love has a great 80s synth sound that also has something very current about it.



5. Won't Go Quietly, Example
This album was another that was a long time in coming, with the first single being released in summer 2009.  Yet again, the wait was worth it. Example is great with lyrics and knows how to work with a gaggle of producers to create catchy songs that range from rap to rave to electro to pop. When Don Diablo, Calvin Harris, Funk Agenda, Chase & Status, and Sub Focus are all involved in one album, you know you're in for a treat. Because Example has such a strong understanding of his own aesthetic, he is able to create a coherent album out of such diverse talent.


6. The Defamation of Strickland Banks, Plan B
This is a gorgeous concept album that is so cohesive, it's scary. Also, who knew that rough and tumble rapper Ben Drew had such an addictive soulful falsetto? I ordered this album on the strength of the song "Writing's On The Wall," and I wasn't sure what else to expect. My adventurous nature was rewarded with lush orchestrations, authentic throwback soul-pop sounds, and a true concept album that never deviates from its concept because the whole album tells one story. The videos are also worth checking out, since they are just as high concept and do a wonderful job of bringing the Strickland Banks story to life. Drew is also an actor (Harry Brown), and his sense of theatricality and consummate showmanship serve him well on this project.


7. Black Light, Groove Armada
"Paper Romance" and "I Won't Kneel" are hard songs to pass up; so is the rest of this album. Tom and Andy have worked their magic once again, going a bit darker than usual, but employing such a talented group of vocalists that the darkness is sensual and powerfully enveloping.




8. It'll Be Better, Francis & The Lights
Another album that I took to my heart right away, letting Francis & The Lights sing me to sleep for weeks. "In A Limousine" is a particular favorite of me; the epitome of Francis's quiet, dreamy sound. This is another band that I like because of their 80s synth-heavy sound lending a loose familiarity to their songs. However, the way in which Francis combines references to The Style Council, Genesis, Steve Winwood, Prince, Elvis Costello, and Peter Gabriel (among others) creates a new, unique sound like no other I've heard.


9. Boston's Boy, Sam Adams
I first saw this album in the pre-order section of Newbury Comics's website, and having a weakness for all things Beantown, I just couldn't pass up a Boston rapper named Sam Adams. It turns out that this kid is actually pretty good. His lyrics have swagger and he knows how to rock a sample (see "Walking On Broken Glass" as worked into "Driving Me Crazy"). He is also hella accomplished in other areas of his life: he's a star soccer player, he went to a prep school in the same athletic league as my high school (ISL represent!), plus he's kinda cute.

10. Go, Jónsi
Several of my friends gave this album rave reviews, so I just had to check it out. It took a couple of listens for me to get into it, but once I did, I was totally hooked and could see why I had been bombarded by insistence that I listen to this lush and gorgeous album. Mainly, I am reminded of Enya-meets-Gladiator soundtrack, which isn't a bad thing at all. Go has become one of the first things I think to put on when I just need to let go and chill. It is also great background music when I am in a creative mood, with it's soaring melodies and harmonies lending themselves to expansion of the mind.

No comments: