08 December 2024

Best of 2024: Albums

1. Adult Contemporary, Chromeo
After my White Women era Chromeo obsession died down back in 2011 2018, I had to take a break from them (and also, Head Over Heels was just not my vibe). Even though the four singles they released in 2023 didn't click with me right way, I still gave Adult Contemporary a chance, and I'm so glad I did! As a whole, this album gets back to the Chromeo I loved circa White Women, but leveled up with even more sophisticated funk and grooves. "Lonesome Nights", "CODA", and "Personal Effects" best show off their lyrical genius, and I also love "Got It Good" and "(I Don't Need A) New Girl". After I listened to this album a couple of times, I knew I needed to see them live again, and they did not disappoint. This album holds together so well as one cohesive work of art (the singles that didn't click make so much more sense in the context of the album), and it has been in steady rotation all year long.

2. PoPoMo, JINBO, Hersh, and PoPoMo
Mayer Hawthorne, but make it Korean. Every single song on the album is excellent, and I love the grooves and vocals so much. "All That You Wanted", "Tonight", and "Canvas, Brush & Knife" are the standout tracks that have stuck with me all year, and I can't wait to see what Jinbo & Hersh do next with their PoPoMo (Post Post-Modern) project.

3. Time is the Playground, Carbon Leaf
As usual with Carbon Leaf, this new album did not really hit me until I heard several of the songs during their live set. Hearing songs like "Call Ahead", "Catching Windmill", "City by the Sea", and "Monday Night in Germantown" made me realize that this album is infused with the classic Carbon Leaf sound I love -- aka the Indian Summer era, which this album feels like a spiritual sequel to ("Pretending" is another favorite track). Even though I have seen Carbon Leaf live more times than any other artist, I typically don't listen to their albums at home that often or add their songs to my playlists, but Time is the Playground has bucked that trend, as it brings me the same energy and excitement (Carter's guitar parts!!) that I love about the band's live shows.

4. Light It Up, Will Young
If Will Young puts out an album, chances are high that it will be one of the best of the year. Over 20 years into his career, his songwriting, his musicality, and his voice remain absolutely stunning. Lead single "Falling Deep" is his latest dance-pop masterpiece, and the whole album is just as shimmery and glowing as the album art would lead one to expect.

5. Stampede, Orville Peck
I was late to Orville Peck because I think his mask is stupid, and I avoided his music on principle. However, a duet with Midland, a ballet featuring his songs, and Bryce's strong recommendations have made me look past the mask and appreciate Orville's insanely good voice. I love that he sounds like a cross between Chris Isaak and Johnny Cash, with some Elvis thrown in. Stampede is a duets album that isn't gimmicky; rather, it's well thought-out and purposeful, with carefully chosen and diverse duet partners and songs. Favorite tracks include "The Hurtin' Kind" with Midland, "Where Are We Now?" with Mickey Guyton, "Miénteme" with Bu Cuarón, "Death Valley High" with Beck, and "How Far Will We Take It?" with Noah Cyrus. Peck's malleable voice can bend and stretch to complement a range of singing partners and genres, making this an album that always has something new to offer with each listen.

No comments: