1. The Trackers, Charles Frazier
First of all, this is a novel about a WPA artist with a WPA National Park Poster-style cover, and I would have picked it up just for that even if it wasn’t by Charles Frazier, who is reliably excellent. The Trackers is a little bit less serious than his other books, a little pulpy even (why, yes, it does have Deliverance vibes in the rural Florida scenes), and that cheekiness works for the mystery-fueled road trip plot. This book was a lot of fun to read, and I loved criss-crossing the country in 1937 with Val, the aforementioned WPA artist at the center of this charming story. The Trackers will take you on a perfect summer road trip without setting foot in a car.
2. O Beautiful, Jung Yun
I appreciated finally reading a book about a woman in her early 40s who isn’t bothered about getting married or having kids. It’s kind of a shame she is also a mostly un-likable hot mess who can’t quite get her shit together (but I was low-key rooting for her at various moments as well). The story is highly compelling and brought to life by wonderfully descriptive writing. I love the sense of place and the atmosphere as the author immerses us in the Bakken oil boom. The story didn’t end up where I thought it would in the best possible way.
3. A Pocketful of Happiness, Richard E. Grant
I do not recommend finishing this book late at night right before going to bed because the ending is absolutely shattering and sleep quality WILL be negatively impacted. However, I DO recommend reading this book! Richard E. Grant is absolutely charming and incredibly human. He’s like a regular guy dealing with intense grief who just happens to have King Charles dropping by his house to visit. He provides a wonderful tribute to his late wife by bringing her to life for those who never had the chance to know her. And he fanboys over Barbra Streisand. Something for everyone.
4. North River, Pete Hamill
This book is an exceptionally well-written piece of historical fiction. Pete Hamill is a master at bringing New York history to life and at creating fully realized characters. I loved getting to know Delaney, Rose, and Carlito in this book, while also stepping back in time to the post-WWI West Village, where the mob and the depression exerted equal weight on daily life. I also love how immersive this book is and wish it were longer; my only complaint is that the ending felt a bit abrupt.
5. Framed, John Grisham & Jim McCloskey
Whoopi Goldberg said she wanted to throw this book across the room while reading it, and I get it. So much lazy, inept, just plain bad police-work and judicial corruption has incarcerated ten innocent people — and countless more, I’m sure. In combination with Clint Eastwood’s latest movie, Juror #2, I will never look at our criminal justice system the same way — and ironically I’ve recently received a summons for jury duty. Framed is a heartbreaking and frustrating book, but also an absolutely vital one.
6. One of Ours, Willa Cather
It’s hard to believe this book was written over 100 years ago! It feels fresh and contemporary, even though it’s about WWI. The timeline has the feel of an epic coming of age, yet this is a book comprised of small moments and carefully observed details. Claude is a highly sympathetic protagonist, and I enjoyed following his journey, even though I had a pretty good idea where / how it would end. I’ve also read Death Comes For The Archbishop recently, and having read her two other big books in the past, I think it may be time for a deeper dive into Willa Cather’s works; I really enjoy her writing style.
7. Never, Rick Astley
This book is everything I hoped it would be. Rick writes with an authentic voice that is charming, self-deprecating, and often hilarious. It was so nice to read a fuller story around things he has alluded to in interviews or comments over the years. He has a had (and is still having!) a truly remarkable life and career, yet he seems as well-adjusted as he comes across in “real life.” I don’t think you have to be a die-hard Rick fan to enjoy this book, but it does help to be semi-knowledgeable about the 80s Brit-pop scene.
8. Death In the Air, Ram Murali
I read this book because Kevin Kwan recommended it on his Insta, and it did not disappoint. Super twisty Agatha Christie style mystery set at a fancy hotel in northern India. Fun characters, meta moments (though the self-awareness sometimes borders on twee - Agatha Christie meets Wes Anderson?), good dialog, and, seriously, so many twists. It took me a while to process it once I had finished it - in a good way.
9. What I Ate in One Year (and Related Thoughts), Stanley Tucci
This delightful book is full of dry wit that is just as delicious (I imagine) as the food described on its pages. The London setting is cozy, the travel mishaps relatable, and the diary format charming & open, while also being clearly carefully considered.
10. Long Island, Colm Toibin
After reading several disappointing books, including one that actually made me angry with its poor execution of creative ideas and lack of logic, Long Island was a breath of fresh air. I wanted a straightforward, well-written book about normal people, and it delivers. It’s been so long since I read Brooklyn, that I had to go look up the plot, though given that Long Island takes place 20 years later, the gap in reading time helps mimic the characters’ journeys. Even though it has an ambiguous ending and there’s so much repression and bad communication, I still loved the book and getting to spend time with Eilis and Jim.









No comments:
Post a Comment