1. IDOLS, Yungblud
Yungblud was my new obsession this year. IDOLS was one of the first new albums I listened to in my new apartment while finishing the last of my unpacking, and it too felt like home. This album is straight-up Rock music and every song is expertly crafted, both lyrically and musically. The epic, nine-minute long opening track "Hello Heaven, Hello" is probably my favorite, but the whole album is a banger from start to finish.
Not only is The Ballad of Wallis Island one of my favorite movies of the year, but its soundtrack is ace. Pretty much the opposite of Yungblud, Tom Basden and Carey Mulligan as McGwyer Mortimer (right up there with The Wonders and Stillwater in the pantheon of fictional bands) deliver a gentle folk album that is pure delight. "Give Your Love" is the standout track among an album full of charming songs.
3. One Day Home, Joshua Radin
I sort of kept forgetting about One Day Home since it wasn't released on CD (my primary listening mode), but nevertheless I came to love so many of the songs on this album via late-night iPod listening sessions. Joshua Radin's voice is so soothing, and his songs are so lyrically dynamic. "Let Me Be Right", "I'll Never Get to You", and "Back to Forever" surprise me with new nuggets of aural gold every time I listen to them. Yet another wonderfully coherent, perfectly sequenced album.
4. Groove in the Face of Adversity, Don Was & The Pan-Detroit Ensemble
Don Was and the Pan-Detroit Ensemble continue to deliver good jazz. I was blown away when I saw the group play live last year and was thrilled that they've released an album that perfectly captures the unique sound and energy of the group, including Seffanie Christi'an and her powerhouse vocals.
5. Hot Dads in Tight Jeans, Yacht Rock Revue
This album was released in 2020, but it was new to me this year, and I honestly needed the song "Bad Tequila" to help me make it through all of this year's ups and downs. I was not expecting a Yacht Rock cover band to be lyrical aces with top-notch original songs. Highlights include "You're Welcome Baby", "Big Bang", "Another Song About California", "Change of Scene", and "Can't Stop", all of which blend contemporary sensibilities with a retro groove.





No comments:
Post a Comment