St. George Theatre, 12 January
It was fitting that I needed to take a boat to see Yacht Rock Revue on Staten Island. I had been wanting to check them out for a while due to my love of all things Yacht Rock, but had to hold out until they played a seated venue. I was so impressed by their dedication to their craft and their musicianship, not to mention the incredible vocals and multi-instrumental stylings of Nicholas Niespodziani and Peter Olson. The vibes were immaculate.
2. Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass
Jazz at Lincoln Center Rose Hall, 1 April
Herb Alpert turned 90 the day before this concert and he put on one heck of an hour & 45 minute show! We should all be so blessed as to still be doing what we love (and doing it well!) at his age. Herb and his band brought the swinging 60s and the sunny sounds the Tijuana Brass era back to life on a chilly spring night.
3. Sam Sparro / Songs in Stages
Chelsea Music Hall, 8 June
Sam Sparro has been one of my favorite vocalists since I first heard "Black and Gold" back in 2008. I'd only been able to see him perform live twice in 2012, so when he posted this fundraising event on his Instagram, I felt like I had to go. I was rewarded for my efforts by actually getting to meet and chat with Sam, who was so lovely and kind. Of course he performed a couple of songs, and he sounds as great as ever. I also got to hear the stories behind the songs from Derrick Milano (who greatly impressed me with his honesty and vulnerability on stage) and Kara DioGuardi - all while supporting blood cancer research & resources for songwriters.
4. Hugh Jackman
Radio City Music Hall, 21 June
Hugh Jackman is such a dedicated, charismatic live performer. This evening of songs included lots of hits from The Greatest Showman interspersed with some Peter Allen, some Neil Diamond, and some other random songs. As much as I love Hugh, the highlight of the evening was Richard Marx coming out to sing "Right Here Waiting" and "Big Bad Boogie". It was so fantastic so see two pros at the top of their game
5. Harry Connick Jr: A Celebration of Cole Porter
Metropolitan Opera, 1 February
I saw Harry Connick Jr. perform this same show at the Nederlander Theatre in 2019, but it was wonderful to see it again in the grand setting of the Metropolitan Opera. Harry is so passionate about the music of Cole Porter, and the show is a fun blend of singing, dancing, and skits that help bring the songs to life in new ways.





No comments:
Post a Comment