21 December 2008

Best of 2008: Books

Getting a job, going to over 50 shows, and seeing over 60 movies didn't keep me from reading, for both pleasure and work, during what little spare time was left. Books are still my go-to entertainment for the solitary life -- they are the ultimate companion on the subway, at coffee shops and restaurants, and any time I want to look occupied in public places. This year's book count was somewhere around 50. Here are my top 10, in order of reading:

1. The Innocent Man, John Grisham -- a real eye-opener to corruption and injustice, which are so often ignored. Together with Changeling it makes you question whether our country and its law enforcement has really changed much over time and if we can trust those who are supposed to be looking out for our security and well-being. I think that due to my extensive CSI viewing, I could have done a better job with crime scene analysis than the police in Ada.

2. Foreskin's Lament, Shalom Auslander -- hilarious memoir of a lapsed Orthodox Jew. May not be as hilarious if you aren't Jewish.

3. The Slaves of Solitude, Patrick Hamilton. Poignant, melancholy, and hauntingly beautiful. Hamilton is one of my favorite recent discoveries, even though he has been around for a while. Excellent British noir.

4. Obedience, Will Lavender. A psycho-thriller is not normally my thing. I had to read this all in one day so I would be able to sleep that night. It does stay with you though; I'll give it that.

5. In the Heart of the Sea, Nathaniel Phillbrick. A non-fiction book that reads like a novel. Very compelling tale of a whaling ship and its sailors. The bonus is you learning some things about whaling and Nantucket.

6. The City of Falling Angels, John Berendt. If you've been to Venice, this will bring back plenty of memories, and if you haven't been, it will probably be your next trip after reading this book. Berendt offers a stunning and true portrait of the city and its inhabitants.

7. The Enchantress of Florence, Salman Rushdie. This was my first Rushdie, and I really enjoyed it. It was slow going at first, but once I got into it, it was filled with gorgeous lyrical prose.

8. Volk's Game, Brent Ghelfi. Not the best book ever, but a good spy thriller beach read. I read it in the summer, and the times being what they were . . . it was just right.

9. Love is a Mix Tape, Rob Sheffield. A really lovely book about the power of music to hurt, haunt, and heal. As someone who associates songs with life's tiniest moments, there was a lot I could relate to here, but I hope I will never be able to relate to losing the person at the center of my universe.

10. The Last Picture Show, Larry McMurtry. Like the movie, the book takes you back to a simpler time. Yet, the challenges and emotions faced by the extremely well-drawn characters of Sonny, Duane, and Jacy aren't much different from those in today's world. Another one of those books that reminds you the more things change, the more they stay the same.

. . . And the worst book I read this year is: Bachelor Degree, by Judith Marks-White. This book was so badly written. I laughed out loud many times due to sheer ridiculousness. Fortunately it was an advance reader's copy, so I put no money toward this piece of kindling.

No comments: