As I did last year, I am going with a list of movies that is most likely to stick with me for a while. I ended up seeing 69 movies this year, just two short of last year. I am okay with that because I certainly had enough other things going on, and frankly I wasn't expecting to even make it this close. As I reviewed my spreadsheet of movies (please take the time to roll your eyes now), there were quite a few that I had forgotten I had even seen. However, there were also a fair number that I remembered fondly. For many of them, I remember thinking that they would make this list as I was watching them, and I was right as usual. My top 10 movies of 2008, in chronological order:
1. The Counterfeiters -- this years excellent German film, featuring cast members from last year's excellent German films, Lives of Others and Black Book. Smart and touching with strong characters.
2. My Blueberry Nights -- this film has been much maligned, but I like it, darn it. The cinematography is rich with jewel-toned neon, Jude Law is sexy, and the film has the overall allure of the open road. It was the perfect movie to relax at on a Friday night after a long week at work.
3. Priceless -- French confectionery, but how sweet it is. Exotic settings. Luxury goods. Escapism. I just can't get enough.
4. Reprise -- Amazing Norwegian film. I went to see it just because it was Norwegian and ended up being blown away by the film's maturity. Very well created characters and a stellar script (or at least the translation was good).
5. WALL-E -- It's on everyone's best list for a reason. I nearly shed some tears for an animated trash compactor. This film really is that good.
6. Tropic Thunder -- No other film this year made me laugh as hard as this one. It was like a throw-back to the 70's, when no one cared about being politically correct. A comedy that is willing to cross a dizzying number of lines (yes, they did just say and/or do that) was a refreshing change from the usual drivel.
7. Man on Wire -- Beautiful photography and a fascinating story. Almost like a spy story but with French acrobats, and true.
8. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist -- This movie reminded me why I wanted to move to New York in the first place: the vibrancy and the sense of possibility, and lets not forget things being open into the wee hours. I was in a bit of a rut at the time I saw it, but when I left the theater I saw the city with fresh eyes and a renewed spirit. Also, Michael Cera is adorable.
9. I've Loved You So Long -- Brilliant performance by Kristin Scott Thomas. Her character's sense of loss and alienation was palpable. Very moving indeed.
10. Gran Torino -- I love Clint Eastwood, so I was expecting to like this film on some level. However, I was not expecting to be as profoundly moved as I was by the ending of this movie. The growling from Clint may have been a bit out of control early on in the film, but the connections that developed between the central characters was touching. It was like several Clint movies/characters rolled into one with a dash of compassion thrown in for good measure.
Also, honorable mentions should go to:
*Cassandra's Dream and In Bruges -- Colin Ferrell is not just a drunken hooligan and can actually act and deliver entertaining, quality performances.
*Ghost Town -- Simple little film. Cute and funny. Good use of New York as set piece. I heart Ricky Gervais.
*RocknRolla -- Nice, sexy British gangster flick from Guy Ritchie, may have perhaps been improved by a 12:30 am viewing after a Ting Tings concert. Awesome soundtrack as well.
*Role Models -- Paul Rudd and this line: "I like to rock 'n roll all night and *part* of everyday. I usually have errands -- I can rock 'n roll from like one to three."
No comments:
Post a Comment