I was really excited about the Andrew Bird concert at Carnegie Hall on January 28th. And then a couple weeks ago I saw that Ben Taylor would be performing at the Bell House on the same night. What's a girl to do? Blog darling v. personal favorite is a tough one to call.
I had a similar multi-show problem with December 3rd (Vampire Weekend/Kevin Costner/Ted Leo), and then I somehow ended up with nothing to do that night. Hopefully I don't get a repeat of that situation, but I am not a fan of a bunch of people I want to see all picking the same night to have a show in NYC. February is like a ghost-calendar for me. Spread the love out a bit people.
After being majorly bummed about having to forgo Ben due to the rather pricey nature of the Andrew Bird ticket, I am now okay about the later because of the Carnegie Hall show's prominent placement in the culture section of this month's Vanity Fair. Kind of sad, but I do love being able to actually relate to things in Vanity Fair, rather than just aspire to them.
If anyone feels like venturing to Brooklyn on the 28th, I do endorse Ben's singing and songwriting, but I also will say that he is as weird as can be expected of an offspring of fame. To wit: he started his career as "The Ben Taylor Band." Then he lost the band and was just "Ben Taylor" for a while. His latest CD was released with "Benjamin Taylor" on the cover. And now the Bell House listing has him as "The Benjamin Taylor Band." They also say he's an actor -- wha? I'm confused, and I've been following his career for 6 years or so.
His opener is Schuyler Fisk, another celebu-spawn. She was in Orange County (Crazytown's "Butterfly" anyone?) with Colin Hanks. I sense a trend.
On second thought, proceed to the Bell House at your own risk, because Ben live may just be an acquired taste that only a Vineyard girl who grew up idolizing Carly Simon could love. (Do check out his Another Run Around the Sun album though -- especially the songs "Digest," "Nothing I Can Do," and "You Must've Fallen.")
No comments:
Post a Comment