Tonight I saw The Courteeners at the Tribeca Grand. It was a special free show between dates on the Morrisey tour, since they are Morrisey's opening band (take that Eli Reed). I had wanted to see them back on the 17th at Mercury Lounge, but I was tired that day and didn't much feel like trying to go out on St. Patrick's day. Now I kind of wish I had gone to see them then, because they are an amazing live band. Sold Brit-rock from Manchester. Of course, tonight's show was in a very intimate venue, it was free, and I was right up front, so I really can't complain too much. Meanwhile, I cannot wait until they come back through NYC because they are definitely a band that I won't be able see live too many times.
I haven't been this solidly into a band for a while. From the first chord tonight, I knew this was my kind of music. I hadn't even listened to their stuff, other than the obligatory myspace sampling. I wanted their CD so badly after the show tonight that I went up to Virgin in Times Square (open until 2am), but since they are closing in a couple of days :( their stock was super limited. No matter, it is on order from Amazon, and will arrive at my door later this week.