
Russell's preoccupation with this small child prevented me from having a meaningful encounter with him, though he did squeeze my hand and thank me for coming. Also, he signed my (UK edition) copy of his book, as that is what usually happens at book signings. To be honest, I was rather hoping for a kiss, like he had given to so many before me. The man is an affection slut. His talking bit before the signing was quite good. He is a very charming, lovely man, despite his eccentricities, or perhaps because of them. Someone in the audience asked him to recite a poem, and he chose something by Yeats, so he's intelligent as well.
I mean, obviously the man is intelligent: he has written a decent book and is famous for random reasons - he knows how to promote himself. When I was in England I saw his name and picture all over the place, but had no idea who he really was or why I should care about him. I know now. Maybe if I had had a telly I would have understood him better at the time. Oh well, I think I have done well in catching up.
Picture credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabiporter/3348627532/in/set-72157615057794387/