16 November 2010

GatsbyWire: Carey Mulligan cast as Daisy

Via Deadline:
Filmmaker Baz Luhrmann has found his Daisy Buchanan. He has officially given the starring role in The Great Gatsby to Carey Mulligan, the Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps and Never Let Me Go star who'll play the manipulative heroine when Luhrmann starts production on his adaptation of the F. Scott Fitzgerald literary classic.
As I have previously noted on Twitter, I adore Carey Mulligan (and she did a bang up job in the adaptation of one of my other Top 5 books, Never Let Me Go), but I just don't think she is right for the role of Daisy, especially opposite Leonardo DiCaprio.  Neither actor even closely resembles how I pictured the characters and the ages seem all wrong to me.

I have never see the Redford version of Gatsby (even though I adore Redford as well), and in the end, I might have to give this one a miss as well, just like I did for Golden Compass.  On the other hand, I am definitely a fan of Luhrmann's style (mise en scène in Moulin Rouge, anyone?), and am curious to see what he does in terms of production design, since Fitzgerald's world has so much visual richness. In my mind, the world of Gatsby is the iconic Francis Cugat painting/cover, the green light, and a retro version of the Long Island depicted in the remake of Sabrina. I'm sure Luhrmann will not disappoint in his interpretation of this aspect of Fitzgerald's vision.

Note to self: re-read Gatsby ASAP; I'm sure it will mean many different things to me now than when I first read it ten years ago.

No comments: