08 November 2010

Summer and Autumn Poems

#1
surrounded by rushing particles
light, people, pure movement
streaks of color all whirring past
and we are fighting, struggling
against the tide trying to reach
to connect with one another
standing still
amongst the restless waves of life


#2
type words to the wind
on silky airmail paper
punctuated by periods
to let the starlight through


#3
Liquid crystal
sleekly capturing
beauty flat
and false
like an artificial horizon
A mirage of the mind
trees and towers
cannot rise
but are trapped
Dying creatures of the eye
outside-in quivering
in oil slick tar black water
growing deeper
with waning light
pulling it all down
though facsimiles float
undisturbed by calm shivers


#4
Shame on me
for kissing him with my eyes
closed so tightly
For believing this time
could be different
For dreaming of unpromised futures
that will now surely never be
For altering my sense of self
to make room for his soul
and mind next to mine
For not listening to the fibers
of my being that cried out
only to be dismissed as paranoia
The hope and the sweetness
of seduction leading as ever
to shame buried primordial
avenu malkenu


#5
red dawn beach
an extraterrestrial caribbean
morning of ominous pinks and purples
your figure receding among a jumble
of mammoth brown rocks, jagged

as you run, I lose sight of you
so fast you take yourself away
and I give chase, confused
by your sudden departure
from my arms into the silent morning

beach huts rustic but foreboding
stoic specters, spectators of our flight
through the static rocks
beside the eerily still ocean, silently lapping
at our tumultuous lives in stark contrast

inside warmed walls you wait for me
let me push you down
and then let it flow, that I am not
the one and you must go, you have
no room for my life in yours

my heart lies broken, a shell
on the shore and you calm like the sea
this place is too perfect and I am not
finished knowing who I will be
without you as my never rising sun


#6
I can't live my life on dreams
that I know won't come true
longing for days spent with you
far afield in sun and breeze
smiling and laughing like perfection
personified in vibrant color
I need to dream and do
not content to sit like you
All I deserve within my reach
mine for the taking,
but you have nothing to give
I move my cotton candy clouds
to another island of dreams
where intrepid travelers will
one day find each other

No comments: