13 December 2009

Best of 2009: Albums

1. Ready for the Weekend - Calvin Harris
It's a wonder this CD still plays after the workout I gave it in my car during a long weekend on Martha's Vineyard. Who knew that the sophomore effort from my favorite 6'5" Scottish electro-maestro would be the perfect road album, especially since driving a car is something I do all of three times a year. Not only is it perfect for the road, but it is also perfect for the subway, the flat, the park, the waterfront, or anyplace else one might find herself. Unquestionably my favorite album of the year by miles, Calvin tantalized by slowly releasing singles starting in January, and the anticipation built to a satisfying crescendo with the release of the album in August. I haven't even bothered to file it properly among the other H's. Instead this album sits at the ready right next to my stereo, where it is listened to almost daily at times.

2. Nothing Gold Can Stay - The Duke & The King
This album is simply beautiful and provided a refuge when I needed to get away from things over the course of the summer. The lyrics are so thoughtful, the melodies so soothing; I curl up in the tones or let them sing me to sleep.

3. Miike Snow - Miike Snow
This album is fabulous because it works so well as an album, but the songs can stand on their own as well. It is darkly atmospheric, but strangely upbeat at the same time. The passion for craft is clearly expressed in every note and every beat.

4. Phonat - Phonat
Another amazing road album straight from the club. Phonat combines electro and rock so skillfully that it fills a void in my musical life that I didn't even know was gaping open. Another album that holds together so well while letting individual tracks shine as the listener picks up hidden nuances with each listen.

5. Wild Young Hearts - Noisettes
I discovered this CD late in the year, but it fills my soul void left by the fact that Eli Reed didn't release an album this year. Closest to Amy Winehouse but with more funk and exuberance, the Noisettes are sure to get you moving.

6. Teknique EP - Burns
An EP is not technically an album I suppose, but I love all three tracks and their remixes so much, there was no way I could leave this out of my Top 10. I knew I was onto something big when I saw Burns open for Calvin Harris in April 2008. This year he has released three EPs, each one better than the last. Burns's approach to electro is a little bit harder than Calvin's or Phonat's but his retro 80s beats and energized layerings get me smiling and grooving every time I hear them.

7. XX - The xx
It's gorgeous. What more can I say? These young whippersnappers are on to something and they have rightfully owned the indie music scene in 2009. Now it can only be hoped that they are able to sustain their mastery. The fact that they are fronted by two competent musicians with unique and beguiling voices and backed by a man who knows his way around beats and top notch production bode well for them.

8. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Phoenix
The boys are back and better than ever. Thanks to plenty of licensing and non-stop exposure all around, none us will soon forget this album. However, the fact that the music remains so likable and addictive despite the overexposure speaks to the musical and songwriting talent of this group. Lesser artists would not survive the Cadillac onslaught.

9. Manners - Passion Pit
Similar to Nothing Gold Can Stay, this album is one in which to immerse yourself with headphones. It is such a lush an soaring album that plays on those musically attuned emotional centers of the brain. Sometimes it feels good to be manipulated so masterfully.

10. Sounds of the Universe - Depeche Mode
Dark and beautiful, each song on this album has so many layers that combine into a fine finished product. "In Chains" is sinister and sexy all at the same time, and serves to set the tone for the rest of the album.


Runners-up
11. Until the Traffic Stops - Alex Cornish
12. Wall of Arms - Maccabees
13. La Roux - La Roux
14. Temporary Pleasure - Simian Mobile Disco
15. Listen to Little Red - Little Red