1. Calvin Harris DJ sets (Webster Hall - 13 March, MHOW - 10 September, Lava Ignite - 27 November)
Like Lays potato chips, its impossible to pick just one Calvin club night as my favorite. They were all fabulous and memorable for different reasons, and they are truly some of the highest highlights of my year. Calvin never disappoints with his tunage, and he seems to attract crowds with some of the best vibes around, always making for memorable evenings.
2. The Courteeners, Tribeca Grand - 28 March
This show ended at 1am and I was so in love with the music that I went all the way up to Times Square immediately to see if I could find the CD at Virgin. Unfortunately for me, this was the venerable megastore's last hurrah weekend, and they hardly had any stock, let alone any albums by this energizing Brit act.
3.The Duke & The King, Union Hall - 20 May
This is one of my favorite new bands of 2009. Their music makes me feel like I've known it forever and this show was a revelation. I had never heard the band before this night, but Simone Felice's eyes had a certain look about them in the promo image and the name grabbed me so I couldn't pass it up. Plus, Simone and Ben Taylor look (and sound) like they could be brothers.
4. Maccabees/Miike Snow/Hatcham Social, MHOW - 20 June
All three bands put on a fantastic show. Miike Snow was the biggest surprise of the evening. I knew "Animal" was a keeper as soon as I heard it. And there were a lot of Brits in the crowd, for an even more authentic Blue Flowers London experience.
5. Phoenix, Terminal 5 - 19 June
Hearing "Too Young" live was a moment I will never forget; one of those times when I have to stop and think how damn amazing my life truly is. There I was, right up front at Terminal 5, listening to a song that floods me with memories of the open road in Texas late at night. It is a song that reminds me where I've been, but also hints at the open fields of possibilities before me. And of course the rest of the set was great too!
6. Kylie Minogue, Hammerstein Ballroom - 11 & 12 October
7. Glasvegas, Bowery Ballroom - 6 January
8. ThenewNo2, Union Hall - 15 February
9. The xx, Bowery Ballroom - 11 November
10. Hall & Oates, Asser Levy Park - 6 August