1. The Mountain in the Sea, Ray Nayler
This is a very science-y and tech-y (and excellent) SciFi book that is also filled with very human emotions. The story encompasses AI, neural networks, consciousness, linguistics, and what being “human” means and is. It’s one of those books set in a future that sadly and frighteningly doesn’t seem that far off or hard to imagine. A powerful, timely novel.
2. Walking with Sam, Andrew McCarthy
I’ve loved all of Andrew McCarthy’s books, but I especially loved this one. The day after I finished it, I kind of wanted to read it again already. What a wonderful meditation about journeys of discovery and parents traveling with adult children - something to which I can relate as an adult child who often travels with my parent(s), and also as someone who loves a good long walk.
3. Magic Lessons, Alice Hoffman
I haven’t loved the other two books I’ve read in the Practical Magic series, but Magic Lessons is - dare I say - an enchanting work of historical fiction. Its 1600s, Salem Witch Trials setting unfortunately feels more relevant than ever in this age of book banning and threatened library closures. Fear of reading, books, and education: been there, done that. I appreciated the Jewish characters as well, and the links Hoffman makes between the Spanish Inquisition and the witch trials, another thing that sadly feels like a timely reminder. But the story is also about love of many different types, and in the end is hopeful and empowering. The setting and/or story reminded me of Pete Hamill’s Forever and Deborah Harkness’s All Souls series (particularly Shadow of Night).
4. Pineapple Street, Jenny Jackson
Rich people problems, but make it endearing. This is a delightful summer read, and it’s endorsed by Kevin Kwan, so it’s the real deal. Recommended for Brooklynites, Brown grads, aviations geeks, and lovers of tablescapes, among others. The writing is just as fun and colorful as the cover.
5. Life of Pi, Yann Martel
The Broadway show got such good reviews that I had to get a ticket, but first I needed to finally read this book - and I’m so glad I did! I completely understand why it has been highly lauded and has inspired other artists to bring it to life on film and stage. Such a powerful, beautifully written story. (The stage version has its merits, but of course doesn't live up to the magic the book conjures in the mind.)
6. Spare, Prince Harry
“There are three sides to every story: Your side, my side, and the truth. And no one is lying.” - Robert Evans
I kept thinking about this quote from one of my favorite memoirists while reading Prince Harry’s book, which is extremely powerful and very well written. It definitely made me see the Royal Family (and those who work for them) in a different light. Even though Harry is privileged, his life has not been easy. Both the British press’ treatment of Harry and Megan and the complicity of the Royal Family are despicable. No amount of money can make up for the emotional abuse detailed in Spare. However, there are some really tender and beautiful moments as well. Like life itself, Spare is filled with plenty of ups & downs, triumphs & defeats. I wish Harry all the best as he forges his own path forward.
7. Farrell Covington and the Limits of Style, Paul Rudnick
A sweeping love story, written with great affection for its characters. In turns charming, defiant, subversive, joyful, and tender.
8. Haven, Emma Donoghue
This lovely, meditative work of historical fiction set on Skellig Michael is also a fascinating tale of survival, belief, and fanaticism. The characters of Cormac and Trian are so well developed that the reader can feel their excitement, fear, frustration, and, ultimately, relief. And Artt, the third character, remains somewhat of an enigma, yet in a way that services the story. Even though the story mostly takes place during summer, it feels quite bleak and wintery, making it a perfect book to curl up with during the colder, quiet months.
9. Lessons in Chemistry, Bonnie Garmus
Three important women in my life recommended this book to me, and I ended up reading it in two days! It’s entertaining and empowering, smart and well-written. It's like Mad Men, but set in a science lab and with Peggy as the protagonist. I fell in love with all of the main characters and wished I could spend more time with them, especially Six-Thirty the dog.
10. The Boys in the Boat, Daniel James Brown
This book has everything: the depression, underdogs, the Grand Coulee Dam, wise English boat builders, Nazis, Seabiscuit, rowing in snow storms, Louis Zamperini, Poughkeepsie bookies, the Dust Bowl, and more! But, most importantly, it’s a highly detailed, well-researched, and captivating account of eleven men who conceived of a dream and spent several years chasing it down, all during a pivotal time in history. Woven throughout are reminders of how truly devious the Nazis were and how pervasive antisemitism was at the time, even in America. Overall, this book tells a powerful and inspiring story.










No comments:
Post a Comment