1. BlackBerry
This film elicits nostalgia for a very specific time I didn't even know I wanted to be nostalgic about: namely my first couple of years in a corporate-adjacent job in NYC. I had a BlackBerry from 2009 to 2012 and it was painful to finally let that little guy go and switch to an iPhone. I loved seeing the story of such a meaningful and significant piece of tech being brought to life, and I loved all the inside baseball, behind the scenes interactions between BlackBerry, Apple, and the service carriers. It doesn't hurt that this movie is also charming and hilarious, with masterful performances from Glenn Howerton, Matt Johnson (doing a stellar job both being the heart of the film as the less driven co-founder of BlackBerry, as well as writing and directing the film), and Jay Baruchel. I learned a lot and also had a blast watching this movie.
2. The Holdovers
This film is so authentically New England. I could strongly personally identify with the Cherries Jubilee scene at The Chateau restaurant, which is probably the scene I have laughed the longest and hardest at all year. Of course what makes this movie excellent is the committed, deeply felt performances by Paul Giamatti, Dominic Sessa, and Da'Vine Joy Randolph. They are the reason this film can convincingly span the gamut from hilarity to heartbreak, and all the emotions in between.
3. WHAM!
This documentary took me down a Wham! wormhole that it turned out I really needed this year. I had know that Wham! had some really great pop songs, but this film showcases what a visionary talent George Michael was, while also demonstrating how Andrew Ridgeley was so instrumental to his success. I can also now proudly say that my favorite Wham! song is no longer "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" (though what a great story behind the name and lyrics for that one!), and is now tied between "The Edge of Heaven" and "I'm Your Man", both of which can make one feel like they are in the middle of a movie montage at any given time.
4. Oppenheimer
I was not expecting to like this movie all that much, let alone end up considering it one of the best films I saw this year. But Christopher Nolan and his excellent cast surprised me by injecting passion and excitement into nuclear physics and bringing a significant period in American history to life in such an impactful way. I was especially thrilled to see Josh Hartnett and David Krumholtz given meaty roles; Matt Damon was great as well; and Robert Downey Jr. and Jason Clarke were perfect villains. For me, this film, with its scientific triumph and Pandora's box, was far and away the clear winner of Barbenheimer weekend.
5. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
Another solid entry in the Mission: Impossible franchise. The writing is great, with fun call-backs to previous M:I films and plenty of laugh-out-loud lines delivered expertly by Tom Cruise & Company. Shout-out to Cary Elwes, who is really having quite a year playing spy-masters and/or jerks between M:I, Operation Fortune, and BlackBerry. The stunts are truly awe-inspiring and jaw-dropping. Overall the film has an appealingly chaotic energy, most reminiscent of Tom Cruise's Knight and Day, more than any other previous M:I film.
6. Anatomy of a Fall
This film cleverly puts the viewer in the shoes of the jury, leaving them to decide if the protagonist is guilty and what she is guilty of given the evidence presented. Normally ambiguity in films bothers me, but it really worked here and felt true to life. This is definitely a film that keeps you thinking long after you leave the theater.
7. Cassandro
Gael Garcia Bernal gives an extremely fine, truly magnetic lead performance. He is ably supported by a talented cast, including Bad Bunny and Roberta Colindrez. I wasn't familiar with Cassandro until this film got on my radar, but his story is so compelling that it seems destined for the big screen.
8. Monster
This is a very well crafted film that tells one story from three different perspectives without feeling repetitive in the least. Ultimately, it is a moving story about childhood, friendships, and the many pressures children must face while being unequipped to adequately deal with and process them. The whole cast delivers skillful and highly nuanced performances, but the two children at the center of the story shine especially bright.
9. Guy Ritchie's The Covenant
A sobering look at the impact the US military has had in Afghanistan, and how many who helped US efforts have been forsaken in truly awful ways. Jake Gyllenhaal and Dar Salim both give excellent performances. The final rescue action sequence is so well done: it's incredibly nerve-wracking and puts the viewer right in the middle of the action with the characters under siege. The Covenant is a powerful, timely contemporary war movie.
10. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
I had a great time watching Chris Pine seem like he was having a blast being in this film. Any movie in which Chris Pine (the best Chris) gets to be hilarious & goofy, look dashing, have amazing hair, and sing is a winner in my book. The rest of the cast was just as fun to watch, and the story was solid. I had no prior D&D knowledge, and it did not hinder my enjoyment of the film in any way, so kudos to the writer and directors for that.
11. A Good Person
Florence Pugh gives a powerful performance in this film, and Zach Braff still knows how to pull the heartstrings from the director's chair. There were so many moving scenes that I was brought to tears several times and didn't leave the theater with dry eyes. Morgan Freeman and Molly Shannon are also very good here; more than anything A Good Person is an acting showcase.
12. Anyone But You
Ending the year, and this list, with a delightful rom-com just feels right. Glen Powell and Sydney Sweeney lead a stacked cast that delivers a surprisingly committed riff on Much Ado About Nothing (a wedding cake from Dogberry bakery!) with just as much silliness as the Shakespeare original.












No comments:
Post a Comment