22 December 2023

Best of 2023: Theatre

1. Groundhog Day
The Old Vic, 17 June

Even in a different country, on a smaller stage with fewer bells & whistles, and with a smaller cast, Groundhog Day is still the GOAT. Of course, this production still featured the inimitable Andy Karl as Phil, which is the real secret to its success. Andy lifts up his cast-mates and infuses Phil with humor and pathos. I am so grateful that I was given this opportunity to see my favorite theatre actor in my favorite musical once more. I love this show (and Andy) so damn much.

2. The Coast Starlight
Lincoln Center Theatre, 29 March

This well-written and well-acted play reminded me of a great novel. It really sucked me in, and whichever character was speaking was my favorite character in that given moment. I loved that the story was speculative, imagined and conjured up by the characters, and that the dialog and action brought their inner thoughts to life rather than reflecting what what actually happening on the titular train.

3. All the Devils Are Here: How Shakespeare Invented the Villain
DR2 Theatre, 21 October & 17 December

Back in 2020, the first time I saw an iteration of this show, I wrote: "Patrick delivered scenes from a plethora of Shakespeare's works, with masterful performances featuring fully realized characters brought to life for mere minutes. In between scenes, he also provided elucidating commentary on the evolution of villains in Shakespeare's work from Henry VI to The Tempest. All the Devils are Here is a magic show of the most practical sort, and I would go see it again in a heartbeat if I could." Naturally, I followed through on that and saw this Off-Broadway run twice. It's still a wonderful conjuring of magic; the rare show that is even more captivating with a second (and third) experience.

4. Salesman之死
Connelly Theatre, 16 October

This based-on-a-true-story play is set in China and is performed in English and Mandarin. The story of Arthur Miller directing Death of a Salesman in China is fascinating, and the all-female, all-Asian cast delivered excellent performances. I left the theatre feeling like I had witnessed something truly special & highly worthwhile and inspired by learning something new.

5. The Bridges of Madison County
Bucks County Playhouse, 10 September

I had a lot of fun in New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ, plus got to see a fantastic closing-day production of The Bridges of Madison County, thanks to the Playhouse's Bus & Bridges package. I love Bridges in book and movie forms, but I discovered Robert James Waller about a year after Bridges' Broadway run, so this was my first chance to see the musical. Kate Baldwin was absolutely fantastic as Francesca, and Nicholas Rodriguez had a Patrick Swayze crossed with Mario Lopez thing going on as Robert Kincaid. Both of these actors can sing the hell out of anything, and they shared a particularly gorgeous duet in this show.

6. Poor Yella Rednecks
MTC, 8 November

This very creative and fun play does inventive and cleaver things with language, features imaginative sets, and throws in a few songs and raps for good measure. Maureen Sebastian delivers an exceptional performance as an immigrant and mother struggling to find her American dream. She has worth foils in Samantha Quan and Ben Levin, as her mother and husband, respectively. Poor Yella Rednecks is infused with good energy and a sense of whimsy that provide uplift to a story that addresses complex emotional themes.

7. Sugar Daddy
Soho Playhouse, 1 February

This show is an emotional roller coaster. The sad parts are devastating, and the comic parts are hilarious. Sam Morrison is an extraordinarily talented performer and comedian, skillfully able to command a stage and an audience with his charm, cheekiness, and authenticity.

8. Orpheus Descending
Polonsky Shakespeare Center, 12 July

At one point, this show was supposed to star Christopher Abbot as Valentine, but along the way he was replaced by Pico Alexander, who is a delight on stage with his puppy-dog persona. Yet I think the volatile and unhinged aspects of the show would have been better served by Abbot's raw, brooding, intense energy (which was in full effect later this year in Danny and the Deep Blue Sea). Still, Alexander and Maggie Siff delivered compelling performances, anchoring the swirling chaos of the show with the solid connection between their characters. The play powerfully addresses themes of racism and alienation. It's a heavy play, but it's also beautiful. I would have liked to see it a second time.

9. The Shark is Broken
Golden Theatre, 12 August

As a Jaws super-fan, I've been tracking this show for several years, and was excited to finally see it on Broadway. It did not disappoint. Ian Shaw does a wonderful job playing his father, and Alex Brightman as Richard Dreyfus steals the show. I dispute some of the Martha's Vineyard geography alluded to in the show, but despite those small flaws, The Shark Is Broken feels very true to the Jaws mythos. But at it's heart, it's a play about three guys killing time, so it's almost like Jaws crossed with Seinfeld -- a play about nothing, in the best possible way.

10. Whitman in Love: Live Oak, with Moss & Other Poems
Merchant's House Museum, 23 June

This was a magical evening of hearing Walt Whitman’s poems performed in the garden of the Merchant's House Museum by John Kevin Jones, followed by Karen Karbiener and Brian Selznick discussing Whitman’s legacy and their approach to a gorgeous book of twelve of Whitman’s poems (which they were kind enough to sign for me). Brian Selznick said some wonderful things about books being technology (a simple technology and an ancient one) that the reader collaborates with as soon as we open the cover, and then controls the pace and experience as we turn each page.

11. Once Upon a One More Time
Marquis Theatre, 22 July

This is such a silly show with far too much hand choreography (yes, that is a thing), and the high pitched voice adopted by the lead actress drove me crazy... yet, I actually bought a ticket to see it a second time, only to be thwarted in that endeavor by the show's early closing. Despite it flaws, this show had two things going for it: (a) Justin Guarini as an extremely charming Prince Charming and (b) killer choreo numbers featuring or led by him. I really just wanted to see Justin dance to "Circus" and "Oops!...I Did It Again" one more time, and I'm still sad I didn't get that chance.

No comments: