22 December 2023

Best of 2023: Concerts

1. John Mayer
Madison Square Garden, 4 October

I hadn’t been in the mood to deal with MSG the last couple of times John came through town, but then I felt myself regretting that I hadn’t had a chance to hear him sing live since 2019. John Mayer has been in my life for 22 years, and Room For Squares is one of my most grounding albums. When I’m super stressed or not feeling like myself, John and Room For Squares always bring me back to my center. The mellow vibes at this Solo Tour show were exactly what I hoped they would be, and John’s 2-hour set was a perfect blend of hits and deeper cuts. This show was exactly the balm that my soul needed in this moment.

2. Brian Culbertson
Apollo Theatre, 6 April

Brian Culbertson is not only a multi-hyphenate talent, but he is also a true showman. He feeds off the audience's energy and gives it right back to them ten-fold. In fact, he might be having more fun up on stage than even his most ardent fans in audience are. Seeing him perform at the Apollo, with its storied history, was extra-special.

3. Orfeh & Andy Karl
PAC, 23 December

What a show! Orfeh and Andy have surpassed themselves. This is my fifth time seeing Legally Bound, and they just keep getting better and better. This show had an absolutely killer set list: "Hallelujah," "Nothing Compares 2 U," "How Will I Know," "Smooth," "No Scrubs," two Andy Karl originals -- and so much more! Both Orfeh and Andy (and everyone else on stage) sounded fantastic. As a bonus, they were joined by Darlene Love for a finale of “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).”

4. Epik High
Hammerstein Ballroom, 16 March

A highlight of my year: seeing Tablo of Epik High do his verse from “All Day”, his collab with RM on RM’s Indigo album. The rest of the show was high energy and lots of fun. I can see why Epik High is so popular, and I look forward to seeing them live again sometime.

5. Keshi
Radio City Music Hall, 15 March

Keshi is quite the performer - he had a sold-out Radio City eating out of the palm of his hand. It was great to see him work the crowd as he delivered a passionate, yet often mellow, set of songs.

6. Brett Eldredge
Beacon Theatre, 9 December

So glad I splurged on an orchestra seat for Brett Eldredge’s GLOW tour (even if I’m spoiled and can never return to the loge for this show ever again). After four years, this show is one of the holiday traditions I look forward to most every year. Brett’s enthusiasm is infectious, his voice is powerful and smooth and gorgeous, and his original Christmas songs are quickly becoming classics. He really is Mr. Christmas.

No comments: